Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
After Ed Carpenter won the Firestone 600 at Texas Motor Speedway three weeks ago, the Verizon IndyCar Series is back in the Lone Star State. But this weekend, a much different challenge awaits.
The second of three IndyCar doubleheaders this season is upon us in Houston, where drivers will navigate the 10-turn, 1.7-mile street circuit at NRG Park.
Race 1 of the weekend goes off this afternoon LIVE on NBCSN, but in case you can’t watch it on TV, CLICK HERE at 3 p.m. ET to stream it online and on your mobile device through NBC Sports Live Extra.
Perhaps no driver in the IndyCar paddock is as motivated this weekend as Helio Castroneves. In last October’s Houston doubleheader, the Brazilian lost his grip on the elusive series championship that he’s never been able to attain in his career.
He returns to Houston in the thick of the 2014 title race at 39 points behind points leader/teammate Will Power. And with two chances to cut into the Australian’s lead, Castroneves should be fired up.
On the other side, Power has finished in the Top 10 in every IndyCar race this season and split wins with defending series champion Scott Dixon in Houston last year.
However, he’ll have to start 18th this afternoon after a dismal qualifying session this morning. Can he overcome that and continue to stay atop the championship?
If you plan to stream today’s race, be sure to have your username and password from your cable/satellite/telco provider handy so your subscription can be verified. Once you plug those pieces of information in, you’ll have access to the stream.
Again, CLICK HERE at 3 p.m. ET to stream NBCSN’s coverage of Race 1 of the Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston.
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 0
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1