Jun 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
BRING YOUR MOUTHGUARDS
Course designers have ground down the Turn 1 bump that wreaked havoc during last year’s Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston weekend, along with a few other spots. But even with the fixes, they’re still racing on a parking lot and this rough, 1.7-mile course is still tough to navigate. Keep an eye on the Turn 2 chicane, where Will Power and Jack Hawksworth got air over the curbs in yesterday’s practice session. Some overnight grinding took place on said curbs, but we’ll have to see if it helps matters.
BEAT THE HEAT
Double-headers are always a grind for the teams, and when you throw in Houston’s summer heat and humidity, things only get more difficult. Temperatures are expected to be around the high 80s and low 90s for today’s 90-lap race, and tomorrow’s 90-lapper has conditions looking about the same. Surely, some of the drivers are already hoping that this event goes to a night-time format in 2015.
Will Power is your current points leader, but is starting 18th in this afternoon’s Race 1. However, this shouldn’t faze the Aussie, who took Race 1 of the Detroit doubleheader after starting 16th and finished second in Detroit Race 2 after getting penalized early for avoidable contact. Houston is a bit bumpier and more compact than Detroit’s Belle Isle Park, though. That could hinder Power’s ability to drive through the field.
ANOTHER LOOK AT LUCA
Luca Filippi has carried a stout pace in Rahal Letterman Lanigan’s second car. He was fourth overall in Friday practice, and this morning, he was able to advance to the Firestone Fast Six and ensure himself a solid starting position for Race 1. An unlucky late yellow cost him a Houston podium in last year’s first race, but if his work so far is any indication, he’ll have a solid opportunity to get that Top-3 result this weekend.
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 0
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1