Jun 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
BRING YOUR MOUTHGUARDS
Course designers have ground down the Turn 1 bump that wreaked havoc during last year’s Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston weekend, along with a few other spots. But even with the fixes, they’re still racing on a parking lot and this rough, 1.7-mile course is still tough to navigate. Keep an eye on the Turn 2 chicane, where Will Power and Jack Hawksworth got air over the curbs in yesterday’s practice session. Some overnight grinding took place on said curbs, but we’ll have to see if it helps matters.
BEAT THE HEAT
Double-headers are always a grind for the teams, and when you throw in Houston’s summer heat and humidity, things only get more difficult. Temperatures are expected to be around the high 80s and low 90s for today’s 90-lap race, and tomorrow’s 90-lapper has conditions looking about the same. Surely, some of the drivers are already hoping that this event goes to a night-time format in 2015.
Will Power is your current points leader, but is starting 18th in this afternoon’s Race 1. However, this shouldn’t faze the Aussie, who took Race 1 of the Detroit doubleheader after starting 16th and finished second in Detroit Race 2 after getting penalized early for avoidable contact. Houston is a bit bumpier and more compact than Detroit’s Belle Isle Park, though. That could hinder Power’s ability to drive through the field.
ANOTHER LOOK AT LUCA
Luca Filippi has carried a stout pace in Rahal Letterman Lanigan’s second car. He was fourth overall in Friday practice, and this morning, he was able to advance to the Firestone Fast Six and ensure himself a solid starting position for Race 1. An unlucky late yellow cost him a Houston podium in last year’s first race, but if his work so far is any indication, he’ll have a solid opportunity to get that Top-3 result this weekend.
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 0
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 1
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 1
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0