Jun 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Force India reserve driver Daniel Juncadella will get back behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car when he takes part in practice for the British Grand Prix next weekend.
The Spanish youngster joined Force India at the beginning of the year as its reserve driver, working in tandem with a full campaign in the German DTM championship, where he is yet to score a point in 2014.
He drove for the team in pre-season testing and during the session following the Spanish Grand Prix in May. However, the chance to finally impress in front of the F1 paddock at a race weekend is something that the 23-year-old is very excited about.
“I am delighted and ready and I’d like to thank Sahara Force India for this opportunity,” Juncadella said. “This will be the first time I take part in an official grand prix weekend session, so it will be a very special day for me.
“Since the start of the year back in Jerez, where I got my first chance to drive the car, I’ve been working very hard together with the team and I’ve definitely learned a lot.
“My second outing at the test in Barcelona and all the hours we’ve spent together on the simulator have given me plenty of confidence. They were also the perfect way to get to know the team better, something which I think is always essential in order to do well.”
Having enjoyed a successful junior career, Juncadella is pushing to make the step up to Formula 1 in the near future. Although he faces stiff competition from a number of other talented young drivers, practice sessions such as this will only aid his cause for a seat.
Juncadella will be joined in FP1 by Williams test driver Susie Wolff, who will become the first woman to take part in an F1 weekend session in 22 years.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett to join NASCAR coverage on NBC, NBCSN 3
- F1: Lotus releases images of its new Mercedes-powered E23 2
- NASCAR Media Tour begins today, but drivers still in idle 2
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 7
- ‘Do you get mad when your boyfriend wrecks you?’ Danica Patrick faces kids’ pressing questions 5
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 19
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3