Jun 29, 2014, 5:32 PM EST
The No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Corvette Daytona Prototype, driven by Richard Westbrook and Michael Valiante, has taken the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship win at the Sahlen’s Six Hours at the Glen, the third round of the Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup. It’s the team’s first win of the season.
Westbrook made the winning move on Alex Brundle in the polesitting No. 42 OAK Racing Morgan Nissan after the second-to-last restart inside the final 10 minutes. Westbrook’s Corvette followed another Corvette DP, driven by Burt Frisselle, through before the Bus Stop chicane. Frisselle had taken the opportunity to unlap himself in the No. 9 Action Express entry just previous.
Contact between Alex Tagliani in the No. 08 RSR Racing Oreca FLM09 and Ian James in the No. 23 Team Seattle/AJR Porsche 911 GT America at the final corner with less than a half an hour remaining put the race under its third full course caution, prior to the Westbrook overtake.
There was a one-lap green flag shootout after another accident between the No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates Ford EcoBoost Riley (Scott Pruett) and No. 8 Starworks Motorsport Oreca FLM09 (Renger van der Zande) at the entrance to the Boot.
Although the race went back to green, given the Corvette’s torque and power advantage compared to the better aero for Brundle, the Morgan never really stood a chance at getting back around. Brundle, Gustavo Yacaman and Ho-Pin Tung finished a hard luck second.
Corvette not only won overall but also took its third straight win in the GT Le Mans category, with the No. 3 of Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen on top.
CORE autosport (PC, Colin Braun, Jon Bennett, James Gue) won its fourth race of five this season and Turner Motorsport (GT Daytona, Dane Cameron, Markus Palttala) won its second race of the year.
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0