Vincent Nobile beats teammate Jason Line at Joliet to earn first NHRA Pro Stock win in nearly a year
Jun 29, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
JOLIET, Illinois – When Vincent Nobile moved to Ken Black Racing after last season, the goal was obviously to win races in Pro Stock.
It took him a bit longer to do so than he planned – going 12 starts in 2014 – but the 22-year-old Nobile finally earned his first win of both the season and with his new team, defeating two-time world champion and teammate Jason Line in Sunday’s final round of the O’Reilly Auto Parts Nationals at Route 66 Raceway.
Nobile crossed the finish line first with a run of 6.655 seconds at 208.01 mph. Line was slightly quicker (6.637 seconds) and faster (209.26 mph), but Nobile won the race with a far quicker reaction time: .004 seconds to Line’s .031 effort.
It was Nobile’s ninth career win and his first since Seattle last summer.
“It’s a great win, kind of a long time coming,” Nobile said. “I know I’m young and I’ve won some races, but when you go a streak like I’ve done and not won one, you kind of forget what it feels like. But today definitely refreshed my memory.”
It was Nobile’s second straight final round appearance. He made a shifting error in last week’s race at Epping, New Hampshire and wound up with a runner-up finish.
He was bound and determined not to make another mistake Sunday.
“I kind of choked a little bit there short-shifting and it cost us the race,” Nobile said. “We would have sealed the deal there, I’m pretty confident about it, but I came back here confident and I think I redeemed myself.
“Nobody’s perfect and I’m the first to admit it. I had the car (last week) and it was just me. Today as a team, we all came together and got it done.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Final finishing order (1-16) at the 17th annual O’Reilly Auto Parts Route 66 NHRA Nationals at Route 66 Raceway:
1. Vincent Nobile; 2. Jason Line; 3. Dave Connolly; 4. Shane Tucker; 5. Allen Johnson; 6. Erica Enders-Stevens; 7. Shane Gray; 8. Jeg Coughlin; 9. V. Gaines; 10. Jonathan Gray; 11. Greg Anderson; 12. Larry Morgan; 13. Mark Martino; 14. Mark Hogan; 15. Dave River; 16. Chris McGaha.
Round-by-round results from the 17th annual O’Reilly Auto Parts Route 66 NHRA Nationals at Route 66 Raceway:
ROUND ONE — Dave Connolly, Chevy Camaro, 6.618, 209.43 def. Greg Anderson, Camaro, foul; Shane Tucker, Camaro, 6.639, 209.20 def. Chris McGaha, Camaro, broke; Vincent Nobile, Camaro, 6.619, 209.10 def. Jonathan Gray, Camaro, 6.624, 208.81; Shane Gray, Camaro, 12.771, 68.13 def. V. Gaines, Dodge Dart, foul; Jason Line, Camaro, 6.601, 210.24 def. Mark Martino, Pontiac GXP, 6.696, 207.21; Jeg Coughlin, Dart, 6.606, 209.72 def. Larry Morgan, Ford Mustang, 6.680, 207.27; Allen Johnson, Dart, 6.620, 208.71 def. Mark Hogan, GXP, 6.737, 205.35; Erica Enders-Stevens, Camaro, 6.658, 209.36 def. Dave River, Chevy Cobalt, 14.169, 49.29;
QUARTERFINALS — Tucker, 6.658, 208.71 def. Enders-Stevens, 6.647, 208.59; Connolly, 6.635, 209.23 def. Johnson, 6.625, 208.46; Nobile, 6.645, 208.36 def. Coughlin, foul; Line, 6.630, 209.75 def. S. Gray, 6.667, 208.26;
SEMIFINALS — Nobile, 6.638, 208.55 def. Tucker, 6.699, 208.62; Line, 6.628, 208.94 def. Connolly, 6.634, 208.78;
FINAL — Nobile, 6.655, 208.01 def. Line, 6.637, 209.26.
Point standings (top 10) following Sunday’s O’Reilly Auto Parts Route 66 NHRA Nationals at Route 66 Raceway:
1. Erica Enders-Stevens, 1,036; 2. Jeg Coughlin, 846; 3. Allen Johnson, 845; 4. Jason Line, 830; 5. Vincent Nobile, 785; 6. Dave Connolly, 782; 7. Shane Gray, 769; 8. V. Gaines, 552; 9. Chris McGaha, 525; 10. Jonathan Gray, 432.
Video from NASCAR America
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 22
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6