Jul 2, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
When it comes to one-liners, NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Brendan Gaughan is one of the best with ad-libs or headline-grabbing quotes.
Gaughan is at it again, this time in the Chattanooga Times Free Press.
A story in Wednesday’s edition mentioned that Gaughan, who is a SCUBA certified divemaster, is going to enjoy his off day next Tuesday by diving and swimming with the sharks at the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga.
As part of a promotion for next month’s NNS race at Bristol Motor Speedway, Gaughan will be the “featured guest diver” during the aquarium’s 11 am “Secret Reef” show, and will then hang around afterward to sign autographs for fans.
Ok, now we promised you a great one-liner from Gaughan, and here’s what the Las Vegas native had to say:
“I feel much safer next to a sand tiger shark than I do next to some of my competitors,” Gaughan said in an Aquarium media release. “On the track I have to get to know my competitors to find out who the great whites are and who the nurse sharks are.
“When I’m in the ocean I know that most sharks are peaceful creatures.”
This isn’t the first time Gaughan has been fed to — uh, err, umm, make that swam with — sharks. Prior to the October 2011 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Kentucky Speedway, Gaughan went diving with some sharks at nearby Newport Aquarium (pictured above).
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25