Jul 2, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
One of the busiest men in racing has another new gig.
Mike Conway was one of two more drivers confirmed in the new FIA Formula E Championship on Wednesday, with Jay Penske’s Dragon Racing.
Conway races all road and street course races for Ed Carpenter Racing in the Verizon IndyCar Series, and is also the test and reserve driver for the Toyota Racing team in the FIA World Endurance Championship, where he should get the opportunity to race later this season. But now, he has another open-wheel opportunity.
“I have been very interested in Formula E since it was announced and I am proud to be involved with both Jay and Dragon Racing, in what I believe is breaking new ground in motorsports,” Conway said, in a series release. “I am very confident we can achieve great results during this first season.”
Meanwhile, the driver who stood on the precipice of a Formula One seat this season with Scuderia Toro Rosso, which instead went to Daniil Kvyat, now has an opportunity in Formula E.
Portuguese driver Antonio Felix da Costa has been named to the Amlin Aguri team, alongside Katherine Legge, who was named last week. Da Costa’s 2014 season is a mix of being Red Bull’s official test and reserve driver, and also racing in DTM with BMW.
Da Costa and Legge have some tangential career similarities. Both have tested Formula One cars; Legge’s was back with Minardi, predecessor to Scuderia Toro Rosso, in 2005. Legge also raced in the DTM from 2008 after her last full season in Champ Car in 2007.
With these confirmations, and the additional confirmations at e.dams and Trulli GP on Monday, there’s only four seats remaining in the championship. China Racing is yet to confirm both its drivers while Dragon and Andretti have their seconds to confirm. Andretti has Scott Speed and Gil de Ferran testing this week, although de Ferran’s is just to sample the car.
Here’s the entry as it stands now:
- Amlin Aguri: Katherine Legge, Antonio Felix da Costa
- Andretti Autosport: Franck Montagny
- Audi Sport Abt: Lucas di Grassi, Daniel Abt
- Dragon Racing: Mike Conway
- e.dams-Renault: Nicolas Prost, Sebastien Buemi
- Mahindra Racing: Karun Chandhok, Bruno Senna
- Trulli GP: Jarno Trulli, Michela Cerruti
- Virgin Racing: Sam Bird, Jaime Alguersuari
- Venturi GP: Stephane Sarrazin, Nick Heidfeld
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 0
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 1
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 2