De Silvestro set for COTA August test; track named her official training partner

Jul 2, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT

Photo: COTA Photo: COTA

Simona de Silvestro has the Circuit of the Americas as a new official training partner, which means she’ll be testing an F1 car on U.S. soil in August. Here’s the release below:

Circuit of the Americas (COTA), host of the upcoming 2014 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX, has announced that it will be the official training partner for driver Simona De Silvestro. After recently becoming the first female racing driver in history to test a Formula 1 car on Ferrari’s legendary Fiorano Circuit in northern Italy, Simona will continue her training at COTA in early August.

“We are thrilled to be a part of Simona’s journey to becoming the first full-time female driver in Formula One racing,” said COTA President and CEO Jason Dial. “What better place for her to continue to advance her training than at Circuit of The Americas, the North American home for world-class motorsports. In addition to being her official training partner, COTA is dedicated to building awareness around STEM education and sustainable practices- two things which are very important to Simona as well.”

COTA and De Silvestro both embrace and strongly support sustainability, advancing STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) education and careers, and clean air technology. While driving in the IndyCar Series, De Silvestro served as an advocate for the Clean Air Energy national campaign.

“My racing career has evolved in America, so I can’t think of a better track to train at than Circuit of The Americas,” De Silvestro said. “The track is truly a world class facility and one of the best on the entire calendar. I can’t wait to drive there.”

Details of De Silvestro’s August test session will be released at a later date.

1. 91z07 - Jul 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Maybe Jason Dial needs to look up his facts…

There has already been a full-time female F1 driver…back in the days when it took GUTS to drive those cars.

Lella Lombardi drove for March & William from ’74-’76 and entered 17 GP’s. Not to detract from anything Simona is doing…I hope she gets a shot at the circus…

2. testover6370 - Jul 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Hopefully if Sauber closes shop (as Bernie seems intent on) or has to take a pay driver with a bigger check, there’s a place for her in Indycar again. I miss watching her actually race.

3. indycarseries500 - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I don’t think Sauber has any intentions of letting her anywhere near a race seat (or a test seat for that matter). They’re just riding this “associated driver” wave. They should take this circus to Barber too, since I believe it is graded for Formula 1 testing, so they can see what she could do on a track she knows in a high performance formula car. Still a shame she’s throwing a year or two of her career away being jacked around by her management and Sauber.

• buckie16 - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:47 AM

Facts check: She has completed several test sessions already. Don’t quote me but I think 6 days on 3 diff circuits so far. She’s a ways off from racing for them, but I doubt they would invest so much in her if they did not intend to.

Barber is used by IRL, various other motorsports entities & include a school & museum on site. The defunked US F1 team “nominated” it as their official test circuit, but I don’t know if they ever actually ran it. No other F1 events have occurred there.

• indycarseries500 - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Fact check: She’s not a test driver, she’s an “associated driver” driving a two year old car on hockey puck tires is not officially testing. They’re not investing too much running a two year old car drawing attention to themselves and drawing money from her, her managament, CotA, and her sponsors

Never said their had been an F1 event there I just said it was graded for F1 testing and if they’re going to be in the States why not take her there? She knows the circuit and she can just go out and go hard if they’re serious about her (which I doubt).

4. techmeister1 - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I don’t believe that Sauber is disingenuous in their dealings with Simona. I expect there is more to the situation than we know at the present. I suspect that Simona definitely will race in F1 for Sauber unless she is totally uncompetitive, which is unlikely.

COTA partnering with her is just free and excellent marketing for COTA.

5. celzii - Jul 2, 2014 at 9:42 PM

This vagina wasn’t exactly a winner in Indycar and won’t be up to the task in F1 where the level of performance extracted from the car is required to be that much higher. Even if Bernie himself was able to put together a deal for her just to have a female driver in F1, she won’t be fast enough to qualify.

• indycarseries500 - Jul 2, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Honestly the Formula 1 car would probably be more suited to her, she’s used to the G’s and the car has power steering.

• mattlambertson - Jul 5, 2014 at 11:49 PM

We’re sorry, there seems to have been some sort of disruption in the time-space continuum that resulted in this individual emerging from the early 1800s to express anachronistic views that are completely inappropriate to this time.

To the gentleman who finds himself caught in an unknown and possibly terrifying century, I suggest he review footage of a certain Indycar race in Houston circa 2013, where this so-called “vagina” bested twenty-plus other “penises” to place second in one of the most physically demanding events of the year, despite driving for one of, if not THE VERY WORST road-and-street course team in the entire Indycar series.

I apologize in advance for the mental trauma the referenced gentleman might endure in experiencing this event; I simply wished to spare him further confusion as to the century in which he has emerged. God bless.

6. buckie16 - Jul 3, 2014 at 1:51 AM

In case you missed it…. AWESOME in-car vid of her Sauber test in April.

7. worknman24hours - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I am happy that Simona is getting full backing in her efforts to further her driving career.

It is up to her to make the most of that and I am sure she is up to the challenge.

Would be great to see her win some races early so all the haters could choke on it.

Video from NASCAR America