Jul 2, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Simona de Silvestro has the Circuit of the Americas as a new official training partner, which means she’ll be testing an F1 car on U.S. soil in August. Here’s the release below:
Circuit of the Americas (COTA), host of the upcoming 2014 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX, has announced that it will be the official training partner for driver Simona De Silvestro. After recently becoming the first female racing driver in history to test a Formula 1 car on Ferrari’s legendary Fiorano Circuit in northern Italy, Simona will continue her training at COTA in early August.
“We are thrilled to be a part of Simona’s journey to becoming the first full-time female driver in Formula One racing,” said COTA President and CEO Jason Dial. “What better place for her to continue to advance her training than at Circuit of The Americas, the North American home for world-class motorsports. In addition to being her official training partner, COTA is dedicated to building awareness around STEM education and sustainable practices- two things which are very important to Simona as well.”
COTA and De Silvestro both embrace and strongly support sustainability, advancing STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) education and careers, and clean air technology. While driving in the IndyCar Series, De Silvestro served as an advocate for the Clean Air Energy national campaign.
“My racing career has evolved in America, so I can’t think of a better track to train at than Circuit of The Americas,” De Silvestro said. “The track is truly a world class facility and one of the best on the entire calendar. I can’t wait to drive there.”
Details of De Silvestro’s August test session will be released at a later date.
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 7
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 5
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 13
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 5