Exam to determine if stitches can be removed from Brad Keselowski’s injured right hand prior to racing at Daytona
Jul 2, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Brad Keselowski is due to be reexamined to determine if the stitches on his injured right hand can be removed sometime before Saturday’s Coke Zero 400 at Daytona International Speedway, according to a Team Penske statement.
Keselowski’s hand was injured on a broken champagne bottle during the post-Kentucky win celebration in victory lane. He went to the infield care center and received four stitches to close the wound.
The team statement did not indicate when Keselowski will be examined, but it will likely be while he is in Daytona Beach for this weekend’s race action.
If it’s determined that the stitches cannot be removed, Keselowski will likely compete in Saturday’s race with some type of protective covering or wrap over the stitches.
According to Team Penske, Keselowski has not been hampered by the injury, having taken part in a team test earlier this week.
Keselowski told NASCAR.com on Monday, “Do I anticipate (any problems holding the steering wheel)? No, last time I had stitches, it was just seven days or so and we’re going to Daytona, which is probably the easiest track you could ask for. I didn’t break any bones or any of that stuff. I just put a big gash, so I don’t think it’ll be an issue.”
If Keselowski were to double up and win a second straight race Saturday, it’s likely the champagne will remain on ice.
As he said after Saturday night’s incident, “We should have stuck with beer.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 1
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 14
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0