Jul 3, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Valtteri Bottas has backed compatriot Kimi Raikkonen to bounce back from a difficult start to the season and re-find his form soon.
Raikkonen re-joined Ferrari at the beginning of the season after two years with Lotus, and the move was intended to allow both the driver and the team to relive their glory days and mount a serious assault for both world championships.
However, in his first eight races back at Maranello, the Finn has scored just 19 points and has only finished as high as seventh, leading to many questions about his motivation and passion for the sport.
For Bottas, it is merely a blip, and he is confident that his fellow countryman will return to form soon.
“I think he’s okay,” he told to NBC Sports. “For sure, Fernando is giving him a hard time to him. I don’t know the things in detail but for sure he’s struggling with the way the car behaves.
“I think he’s okay. He will get there, I am sure.”
Bottas also spoke about the possible loss of Monza. Earlier this week, Bernie Ecclestone revealed that the historic circuit could be cut from the sport’s calendar as it has been a “commercial disaster”.
“It would be a real shame,” he said. “It’s a great track. I have good memories of there, I won the GP3 title in Monza. For racing, that track is just really special because there’s a lot of overtaking because of the long straights, always good fights and a lot of history. It would be a real shame.”
Bottas will be hoping to follow up his maiden F1 podium finish in Austria with a strong result this weekend at the British Grand Prix. Click here for all of the TV times and broadcasting options.
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 3
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 5
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 13
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4