Jul 3, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
For drivers in Friday’s Subway Firecracker 400 NASCAR Nationwide Series race, Thursday’s practice session was a matter of one-and-done.
Whereas the NNS drivers typically get two practices at other tracks, they only had one two-hour practice session Thursday from Noon to 2 pm ET at Daytona International Speedway, so they made the most of their on-track time.
Brian Scott was the fastest in practice, the only driver to eclipse 193 mph with a top lap of 193.092 mph in his Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet Camaro.
Second-fastest was Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. (192.724 mph), followed by Ty Dillon (192.336), Dakoda Armstrong (191.898), Ryan Reed (191.857), Chris Buescher (191.853), Dylan Kwasniewski (191.693), Sprint Cup regulars Kasey Kahne (190.275) and David Ragan (190.074) and Trevor Bayne was 10th-fastest (189.974).
John Wes Townley was 11th-fastest (189.966 mph), followed by Chad Boat (189.306), Sprint Cup regular Joey Logano (188.750), Scott Lagasse Jr. (188.687), Johnny Sauter (188.608), Elliott Sadler (188.466), James Buescher (188.292), Brendan Gaughan (188.056), Sprint Cup regular Kyle Busch (187.986) and Mike Wallace was 20th-fastest (187.888).
There were some surprisingly slow best speeds for several notable drivers, including Sprint Cup rookie Kyle Larson was 21st-fastest (187.441), Chase Elliott was 22nd (187.398) and Regan Smith was 25th (186.714).
A field of 45 took practice laps; only 40 will make the final field for Friday night’s race during qualifying earlier that afternoon.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 2
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 7
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 4
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 3