(Updated) Second Sprint Cup practice in Daytona cancelled due to rain; McMurray, Larson fastest in first practice
Jul 3, 2014, 6:28 PM EST
Having previously won the Daytona 500 in 2010 and the Coke Zero 400 in 2007, Jamie McMurray knows his way around Daytona International Speedway pretty well.
That’s why it’s no surprise McMurray was the fastest in the first of two practice sessions Thursday in preparation for Friday’s qualifying and then Saturday night’s Coke Zero 400 NASCAR Sprint Cup main event.
(Updated) The second practice session was cancelled due to rain and thunderstorms in the DIS area.
And oh, did McMurray fly around the 2.5-mile, high-banked track, recording a field-best speed of 201.952 mph, followed by Sprint Cup rookie and Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Kyle Larson, who was second-fastest at 201.889 mph.
All told, 18 drivers exceed the 200 mph mark.
Among more notable performances:
* Dale Earnhardt Jr. struggled to a 32nd fastest speed of 198.247 mph, while teammate Jimmie Johnson was the third-slowest in the entire field, unable to turn a lap faster than 191.274 mph, more than 10 mph slower than McMurray’s pace-setting lap.
With the second practice session cancelled, qualifying will take place at 5:10 pm ET on Friday afternoon — weather permitting, of course.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 8
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2