Jul 3, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Following the sale of Caterham F1 Team earlier this week, former team principal Cyril Abiteboul has returned to Renault as Managing Director.
After a difficult five years of racing, Malaysian businessmen Tony Fernandes sold the team earlier this week to a consortium that was advised by former Spyker and Jordan man Colin Kolles. Ex-Minardi driver Christijan Albers will work as team principal, with the changes taking immediate effect.
Abiteboul joined Caterham in 2012 to head up the F1 team for Fernandes, but when news broke about a potential sale, it seemed likely that he would be returning to Renault to work with its engine supply. Today, Renault Sport confirmed the news and the resignation of former president Jean-Michel Jalinier.
“The Renault Group regretfully announces the departure of Mr. Jean-Michel Jalinier, President and Managing Director of Renault Sport F1, who has decided to exercise his right to retirement for personal reasons,” a statement from the French marque read.
“From July 3, Renault Sport F1’s new President will be Mr. Jérôme Stoll who will take on the role in addition to his current responsibilities as Chief Performance Officer and Group Sales and Marketing Director.
“Mr. Cyril Abiteboul has been appointed to fill the newly-created position of Managing Director of Renault Sport F1, reporting to Mr. Jérôme Stoll.”
Caterham took to Twitter to wish Abiteboul the best of luck in his new role.
— Caterham F1 Team (@CaterhamF1) July 3, 2014
Although Caterham is now under new management, its future is still far from certain. For Abiteboul, his task will be to get Renault back up to speed after a difficult start to the season that has hampered its clients.
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy 200 at 1:30 p.m. ET on CNBC, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0
- Hunter-Reay fastest in final Mid-Ohio warm up despite spinning out 0
- Cole Custer sails to first career ARCA win at Pocono, 9th first-time winner in series in 2015 0
- Dixon crushes lap record to score pole in Mid-Ohio (VIDEO) 1
- Johansson: Haas has done its homework ahead of F1 entry 1
- Dixon quickest with unofficial lap record in final practice at Mid-Ohio 0