Jul 3, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Only Team Penske (three wins) has more wins thus far in the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season than does Ed Carpenter Racing (two), achieved by two different drivers. Mike Conway won at Long Beach and Ed Carpenter won in Texas.
And if the eponymous team owner of the No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet wins this weekend in Pocono (Sunday, noon ET, NBCSN), ECR will be tied with one of IndyCar’s most successful operations overall for the most wins this season.
It would also give Carpenter his second 500-mile race win, having also conquered the 500-mile season finale at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif. in 2012.
“I think we actually had a good chance at both races on the ovals this year,” Carpenter said heading into the weekend. “We were in position to challenge Ryan (Hunter-Reay) at Indy but the incident on lap 175 cost us that possibility. Now, I really want to go after that Pocono win.
“I really love racing at Pocono,” he added; he finished ninth at Pocono in 2013. “It is so unique and challenging. I’m not sure there is another corner in our IndyCar Series like turn one at Pocono. It’s flat out on the throttle and very tricky. Just like the track’s nickname applies.”
Carpenter could play spoiler to the rest of the full-season drivers. With this being a double points race, a win offers 100 points with second 80 (instead of 50 and 40, respectively). It could provide a swing in the championship.
Carpenter was also in New York City Thursday for a series of media, including on CNBC’s Squawk Street and NBCSN’s SportsDash. Clips will follow later in the day.
Video from NASCAR America
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 0
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 52
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1