Jul 4, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton’s second free practice session at Silverstone came to an early end today due to an engine problem.
The Briton still finished the session as the fastest driver, but was robbed of some much needed practice time towards the end of the session. However, he is still pleased with how the day went.
“The car felt pretty good here today but unfortunately I lost my most important run of the day this afternoon when I stopped out on track with an engine problem,” Hamilton explained. “We haven’t identified what the issue was yet but it shouldn’t impact the rest of my weekend.
“We will change my programme around tomorrow morning to try and recover the time that I lost and make sure that I can complete my race preparation with a long run. It’s not ideal but we’ll recover!”
However, technical boss Paddy Lowe explained how Hamilton can use data collected from teammate Nico Rosberg’s trouble-free run. The German driver finished in second place.
“Lewis then had an engine stoppage as he was beginning his long run on the option tire, and we have yet to diagnose this precisely,” he said. “That unfortunately cost him the high-fuel running in the session but our plan was always to change this unit overnight, so there should be no direct impact on tomorrow’s programme.
“Nico managed to achieve our objectives for the session and the data from his runs with both option and prime tires will assist both him and Lewis for the race.”
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 4
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 3
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 9
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0