Jul 4, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton’s second free practice session at Silverstone came to an early end today due to an engine problem.
The Briton still finished the session as the fastest driver, but was robbed of some much needed practice time towards the end of the session. However, he is still pleased with how the day went.
“The car felt pretty good here today but unfortunately I lost my most important run of the day this afternoon when I stopped out on track with an engine problem,” Hamilton explained. “We haven’t identified what the issue was yet but it shouldn’t impact the rest of my weekend.
“We will change my programme around tomorrow morning to try and recover the time that I lost and make sure that I can complete my race preparation with a long run. It’s not ideal but we’ll recover!”
However, technical boss Paddy Lowe explained how Hamilton can use data collected from teammate Nico Rosberg’s trouble-free run. The German driver finished in second place.
“Lewis then had an engine stoppage as he was beginning his long run on the option tire, and we have yet to diagnose this precisely,” he said. “That unfortunately cost him the high-fuel running in the session but our plan was always to change this unit overnight, so there should be no direct impact on tomorrow’s programme.
“Nico managed to achieve our objectives for the session and the data from his runs with both option and prime tires will assist both him and Lewis for the race.”
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 1
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 8
- Sebastian Saavedra leads at halfway in IndyCar season finale (VIDEO) 0
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2