Jul 4, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Lewis Hamilton’s second free practice session at Silverstone came to an early end today due to an engine problem.
The Briton still finished the session as the fastest driver, but was robbed of some much needed practice time towards the end of the session. However, he is still pleased with how the day went.
“The car felt pretty good here today but unfortunately I lost my most important run of the day this afternoon when I stopped out on track with an engine problem,” Hamilton explained. “We haven’t identified what the issue was yet but it shouldn’t impact the rest of my weekend.
“We will change my programme around tomorrow morning to try and recover the time that I lost and make sure that I can complete my race preparation with a long run. It’s not ideal but we’ll recover!”
However, technical boss Paddy Lowe explained how Hamilton can use data collected from teammate Nico Rosberg’s trouble-free run. The German driver finished in second place.
“Lewis then had an engine stoppage as he was beginning his long run on the option tire, and we have yet to diagnose this precisely,” he said. “That unfortunately cost him the high-fuel running in the session but our plan was always to change this unit overnight, so there should be no direct impact on tomorrow’s programme.
“Nico managed to achieve our objectives for the session and the data from his runs with both option and prime tires will assist both him and Lewis for the race.”
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1