Jul 4, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Inaugural NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion and former Sprint Cup veteran Mike Skinner was among a healthy NASCAR contingent that visited last weekend’s Goodwood Festival of Speed.
But he wasn’t there just to take in the festivities. Skinner, a former teammate of seven-time Cup champion Dale Earnhardt Sr., claimed victory in the Festival’s Early Rally Cars division of competition.
Driving one of his former No. 5 Toyota Tundras, Skinner blitzed Goodwood’s 1.16-mile Hillclimb course in 50.75 seconds to break Rusty Wallace’s old mark and win the day.
“I love participating in the Goodwood Festival of Speed,” Skinner said in a statement. “It’s such an iconic event that brings the best drivers and cars from all forms of motorsports together.
“It’s a great atmosphere to be a part of, and it meant a lot to me to be able to come out here with our 10-year-old truck and break the record time. We had so many friends and family members behind this effort, so it’s really cool to represent all of them in a winning way.”
Upon the end of his winning run, Skinner also showcased his burnout skills to the appreciative crowds at Goodwood:
“Even though we went over there and were competing, we worked very closely with Danny Lawrence and the Richard Childress Racing guys,” Skinner continued. “We all helped each other–even with the Michael Waltrip Racing and the Richard Petty Motorsports efforts.
“We had four Daytona 500 winners represented, and The King, Richard Petty, was there–it was just really cool. It’s such a neat event, there’s just one big thing after another for three days of competition; it’s like the Kentucky Derby of auto enthusiasts.”
For more Goodwood fun, check out Kerry Earnhardt driving his father Dale Sr.’s No. 3 and this dazzling assortment of classic F1 and sports cars.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52