Jul 4, 2014, 11:09 AM EST
Earlier this week, we wished “The King,” Richard Petty, a happy 77th birthday.
Meanwhile, NASCAR AMERICA asked whether Petty’s all-time record of 200 career victories would ever be equaled.
This Independence Day marks exactly 30 years to the day when Petty took that 200th career win at the Firecracker 400 at Daytona International Speedway.
On a day when President Ronald Reagan gave the command to start engines and was on site, Petty delivered the triumph after holding off Cale Yarborough on the run to the final caution flag. Yarborough pitted and fell to third behind Harry Gant.
Relive the day below.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 14
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0