Jul 4, 2014, 4:45 AM EDT
Few circuits have such a rich history as Silverstone. The home of British motor racing is preparing to host a grand prix for the fiftieth time this weekend, and the first on-track action comes today with free practice one.
You can watch FP1 live on Live Extra from 5am ET. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
The home favorite for the weekend will be Lewis Hamilton, who is chasing his second victory on home soil following his emotional success back in 2008. With the dominant Mercedes W05 Hybrid underneath him, he has his best chance since that win of doubling up.
However, Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg is also chasing a second win at Silverstone. He made the most of Sebastian Vettel’s demise in last year’s race to claim his first British Grand Prix victory, and he will be keen on extending his championship lead over Hamilton this time around.
An interesting sub-plot is also set to unravel this weekend as Red Bull, Ferrari, Force India and Williams vie for the final podium position. We caught up with Sergio Perez yesterday in a very frank interview which you can read here.
All eyes will also be on Susie Wolff during FP1 as the Williams driver becomes the first woman in 22 years to take part in an official grand prix weekend session. Daniel Juncadella, Giedo van der Garde and Robin Frijns will also be running during FP1 as part of their reserve driver plans.
Remember, you can watch FP1 for the British Grand Prix live on Live Extra from 4am ET. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
Please note that there will be no commentary from the NBCSN team for this session, but it will instead purely be the FOM world feed.
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 7
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 5
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 13
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 5