Jul 5, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Fernando Alonso has been left licking his wounds after he was eliminated at the first stage of qualifying for the British Grand Prix today.
The Spaniard finished the session in 19th place after Ferrari opted to move him onto the dry tires too late. There was a brief window during Q1 where they were working effectively and giving the drivers more performance, which allowed Marussia to get both of its drivers into Q2.
However, by the time Ferrari had sent Alonso and teammate Kimi Raikkonen out, more light rain had began to fall. Both drivers dropped out in Q1, and were joined in the dropzone by the Williams duo of Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas.
Alonso believes that the result was down to a combination of bad luck and poor strategy.
“It’s definitely some luck there,” he explained. “As I said, you do the dry tires like Marussia and you are P4, which is fantastic. You do the dry tires and there is this little rain in one corner, and you crash and you are stupid, so it’s a narrow line to be a hero or make a big mistake.
“This is definitely some luck, but it was the same conditions for everybody. As I said, you see two Williams and two Ferraris in the TV ring out of Q1, those two teams did something wrong.”
Although the conditions may have hampered Alonso’s efforts in qualifying today, he is hoping for something similar tomorrow as he has nothing to lose.
“I think mixed conditions will help,” he said. “If it’s a multiple pit stop race, many changes throughout the race, dry-wet-dry-wet-dry-wet, that will help because in one lap you can gain 30 seconds if you’re on the right tires at that moment.
“When you start 19th there is nothing to lose, so we’ll see which type of race we have.”
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2
- Honda reveals its super speedway aero kit Thursday at IMS (VIDEO) 9
- Ed Carpenter talks Newgarden’s win and preparing for superspeedway aero kit at Indy 4
- FOM confirms proposed 2016 F1 calendar has been leaked 0