Jul 5, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
Fernando Alonso has been left licking his wounds after he was eliminated at the first stage of qualifying for the British Grand Prix today.
The Spaniard finished the session in 19th place after Ferrari opted to move him onto the dry tires too late. There was a brief window during Q1 where they were working effectively and giving the drivers more performance, which allowed Marussia to get both of its drivers into Q2.
However, by the time Ferrari had sent Alonso and teammate Kimi Raikkonen out, more light rain had began to fall. Both drivers dropped out in Q1, and were joined in the dropzone by the Williams duo of Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas.
Alonso believes that the result was down to a combination of bad luck and poor strategy.
“It’s definitely some luck there,” he explained. “As I said, you do the dry tires like Marussia and you are P4, which is fantastic. You do the dry tires and there is this little rain in one corner, and you crash and you are stupid, so it’s a narrow line to be a hero or make a big mistake.
“This is definitely some luck, but it was the same conditions for everybody. As I said, you see two Williams and two Ferraris in the TV ring out of Q1, those two teams did something wrong.”
Although the conditions may have hampered Alonso’s efforts in qualifying today, he is hoping for something similar tomorrow as he has nothing to lose.
“I think mixed conditions will help,” he said. “If it’s a multiple pit stop race, many changes throughout the race, dry-wet-dry-wet-dry-wet, that will help because in one lap you can gain 30 seconds if you’re on the right tires at that moment.
“When you start 19th there is nothing to lose, so we’ll see which type of race we have.”
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 4
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0