Jul 5, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Sebastian Vettel has matched his best qualifying result of the 2014 F1 season at Silverstone today, and will start the British Grand Prix from second place on the grid.
The four-time world champion has had a difficult start to the year, scoring just two podium finishes and falling way behind the all-conquering Mercedes drivers in the championship standings. However, he managed to tame the wet conditions in England today to secure P2 in qualifying, matching his result from Saturday in Malaysia.
“It was a very weird session,” Vettel said during the post-qualifying press conference. “A lot of rain, no rain, drizzling, very fine rain, nearly like spray; I think England is the only country where you can get this sort of rain and conditions and changing so quickly.”
Many of the drivers struggled in the conditions, but Vettel asserted that it was a case of taking enough risk without going too far.
“Incredibly difficult to know what was coming so on the flying lap you approach turn one and turn one is a pretty big balls corner, so it’s difficult to know how much risk you can take,” he explained. “Eventually, you have to take some risk because, especially in my case, I wanted to set a lap.
“So obviously very happy that it turned out. Yeah, very positive and starting from the front row tomorrow.”
Vettel will be hoping to convert his front row start into his third podium finish of the season on Sunday, but will face stiff competition from the McLaren and Force India drivers not far behind.
Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton will also be gunning to make up some positions after a mistake in qualifying that leaves him sixth on the grid.
You can watch the British Grand Prix live on CNBC and Live Extra from 7:30am ET tomorrow.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 1
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0