Jul 5, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Jenson Button was delighted with third place in qualifying for the British Grand Prix today as he proved his wet-weather skills to qualify behind Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel.
The 2009 world champion is renowned for his skills in changeable conditions, and this was clear at Silverstone today as he put in a last-ditch lap using dry tires on a damp circuit to secure his best qualifying result since the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix.
In that time, McLaren’s form has been very poor, and he admitted that there was a sense of relief after qualifying.
“Like you cannot believe,” he admitted. “I know it’s only a third in qualifying but for us at the moment, and for the last 18 months, we had no chance of getting this result.”
The result was made all the more sweet by the fact that he secured P3 at his home race in England.
“Yeah it’s nice in front of the home crowd to qualify well and all the way through qualifying, the pace was there. Not compared to the Mercedes, but with everyone else the pace was there.
“To come through and be third in Q3 is a good result for today and I’m really happy that I could do it here in front of the home crowd.”
Button is racing with a special pink livery on his helmet this weekend in memory of his father, John, who died in January at the age of 70. This result will unquestionably give both Jenson and the team a huge boost, but turning it into some solid points on Sunday is a must.
You can watch the British Grand Prix live from 7:30am ET tomorrow on CNBC and Live Extra.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 1
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 5