Jul 5, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Jenson Button was delighted with third place in qualifying for the British Grand Prix today as he proved his wet-weather skills to qualify behind Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel.
The 2009 world champion is renowned for his skills in changeable conditions, and this was clear at Silverstone today as he put in a last-ditch lap using dry tires on a damp circuit to secure his best qualifying result since the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix.
In that time, McLaren’s form has been very poor, and he admitted that there was a sense of relief after qualifying.
“Like you cannot believe,” he admitted. “I know it’s only a third in qualifying but for us at the moment, and for the last 18 months, we had no chance of getting this result.”
The result was made all the more sweet by the fact that he secured P3 at his home race in England.
“Yeah it’s nice in front of the home crowd to qualify well and all the way through qualifying, the pace was there. Not compared to the Mercedes, but with everyone else the pace was there.
“To come through and be third in Q3 is a good result for today and I’m really happy that I could do it here in front of the home crowd.”
Button is racing with a special pink livery on his helmet this weekend in memory of his father, John, who died in January at the age of 70. This result will unquestionably give both Jenson and the team a huge boost, but turning it into some solid points on Sunday is a must.
You can watch the British Grand Prix live from 7:30am ET tomorrow on CNBC and Live Extra.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 49
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2