Jul 5, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Juan Pablo Montoya scored a dramatic pole this afternoon in Verizon IndyCar Series qualifying at Pocono Raceway, leading a 1-2 run for Team Penske.
IndyCar championship leader Will Power appeared to have the pole wrapped up when he threw down a two-lap average of 223.725 miles per hour late in the session.
But on the final run, Montoya out-hustled the Australian with his two-lap average of 223.871 in the No. 2 PPG Team Penske Chevrolet. The run was good enough to set both one-lap (223.920, Lap 1) and two-lap track records at the Tricky Triangle.
“It’s a first step, but we’re going in the right direction,” Montoya told IndyCar Radio after earning the 15th career pole of his open-wheel career and the first since returning to IndyCar.
“It’s nice to be on pole, and now we need to start getting some wins…I think we’ve got a good car. We’ll see what it brings.”
Montoya’s efforts made sure that Power – who leads Penske teammate Helio Castroneves in the championship by 39 points going into tomorrow’s Pocono IndyCar 500 (Noon ET, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra) – narrowly missed out on his third pole of the season
“I probably lifted a little bit too much in [Turn] 1, but I knew Montoya was going to be tough to beat,” Power said. “He ran a little bit more downforce, so since I wasn’t flat – yeah, I think he probably went wide-open.”
Andretti Autosport rookie Carlos Munoz was the only other driver outside Montoya and Power to have an average above the 223 mph mark. He turned in an average of 223.083 in his No. 34 Cinsay Honda.
Takuma Sato qualified fourth with an average of 222.798 mph that held the provisional pole until Power made his way onto the track.
Two more Andretti drivers, Marco Andretti and James Hinchcliffe, followed in fifth and sixth. Castroneves, Tony Kanaan, and a pair of Ryans – Hunter-Reay, then Briscoe – settled in Positions 7-10.
One incident took place during qualifying as Josef Newgarden slid up the track and made contact with the wall in Turn 1.
VERIZON INDYCAR SERIES AT POCONO – QUALIFYING RESULTS
Qualifying position, car number in parentheses, driver, team-engine, and speed
1. (2) Juan Pablo Montoya, Penske-Chevy, 223.871
2. (12) Will Power, Penske-Chevy, 223.725
3. (34) Carlos Munoz, Andretti-Honda, 223.083
4. (14) Takuma Sato, Foyt-Honda, 222.798
5. (25) Marco Andretti, Andretti-Honda, 222.715
6. (27) James Hinchcliffe, Andretti-Honda, 222.544
7. (3) Helio Castroneves, Penske-Chevy, 222.517
8. (10) Tony Kanaan, Ganassi-Chevy, 221.970
9. (28) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti-Honda, 221.950
10. (8) Ryan Briscoe, Ganassi-Chevy, 221.565
11. (77) Simon Pagenaud, Schmidt-Honda, 221.547
12. (7) Mikhail Aleshin, Schmidt-Honda, 221.221
13. (20) Ed Carpenter, ECR-Chevy, 221.019
14. (15) Graham Rahal, Rahal-Honda, 220.747
15. (9) Scott Dixon, Ganassi-Chevy, 220.604
16. (19) Justin Wilson, Coyne-Honda, 220.439
17. (83) Charlie Kimball, Ganassi-Chevy, 220.377
18. (11) Sebastien Bourdais, KVSH-Chevy, 219.741
19. (17) Sebastian Saavedra, KV/AFS-Chevy, 218.502
20. (18) Carlos Huertas, Coyne-Honda, 216.261
21. (67) Josef Newgarden, SFHR-Honda, No speed
22. (98) Jack Hawksworth, Herta-Honda, No speed
Feb 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Technical chief Paddy Lowe working on improved reliability in 2015 after some issues last season.
Feb 1, 2015, 5:00 AM EST
F1 pre-season gets underway in Jerez with the first public test.
Feb 1, 2015, 4:35 AM EST
Something out of the ordinary from Red Bull as pre-season testing begins in Jerez, Spain.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:09 PM EST
Given the way the 2014 season turned out for him, Jimmie Johnson would have preferred to see the old Chase for the Sprint Cup format rather than the new elimination format.
Jan 31, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
With Al-Anabi Racing now defunct, team owner Alan Johnson has picked up the remnants and intends on racing one Top Fuel dragster, with 2013 champ Shawn Langdon behind the wheel, in at least the first two races of the 2015 season.
Jan 31, 2015, 4:01 PM EST
Jeff Gordon wanted to see his successor continue on the legacy of the No. 24 car. Chase Elliott is happy to continue that tradition.
Jan 31, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Mexican driver is excited for the return of his home grand prix in November, even if he won’t be racing.
Jan 31, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
News and notes after Indy Lights wraps up its week of testing in Homestead.
Jan 31, 2015, 3:21 PM EST
Richard Childress Racing and Matt McCall have reached settlement on a lawsuit that sought to keep McCall from becoming Jamie McMurray’s crew chief for the 2015 season.
Jan 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Mexican driver feels that Force India’s hunger can take the team up the grid this year.
Jan 31, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Kenseth and DeWalt are back together, and the six-race sponsorship dates are revealed.
Jan 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Ron Dennis makes clear that Alonso is locked into his new contract with the British team.
Jan 31, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Herald Scotland checks in with Dario Franchitti on his new life outside the cockpit.
Jan 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Prepare for round two with Hamilton and Rosberg as they set their goals for the season ahead.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
With a combined age of 37, Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz Jr. forge the youngest line-up in F1 history in 2015.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
Patriots or Seahawks? NASCAR’s top drivers make their picks for Sunday’s Big Game.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
Watch a time lapse video of how the Ferrari SF15-T gets stickered up in advance of the 2015 season.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:21 AM EST
Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz Jr. lift the covers from the team’s 2015 car, marking its tenth year in F1.
Jan 31, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Highlights from the special event featuring NASCAR drivers and former NFL stars.
Jan 31, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
He may have risen rapidly up to a seat at Red Bull, but Daniil Kvyat is not feeling under pressure.
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 0
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1