Jul 5, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
Pastor Maldonado has been excluded from qualifying for the British Grand Prix after the stewards deemed that there was an insufficient amount of fuel left in his Lotus at the end of the session.
The regulations state that each car must be able to provide a one litre fuel sample at the end of qualifying in order to be classified, and after being investigated, the stewards have confirmed that Maldonado’s Lotus E22 did not have enough to meet this requirement.
A statement from the stewards reads:
“There was an insufficient amount of fuel to provide a one litre fuel sample and therefore this is in breach of article 6.6.2 of the FIA Formula 1 Technical Regulations.
“The competitor is, however, allowed to start the race from the back of the grid in front of any cars that failed to set a time within 107% of the fastest time in Q1.”
As a result, Maldonado will start the race from 20th position ahead of the two Caterham drivers.
The Venezuelan driver had qualified in 15th place on Saturday at Silverstone, but his car ground to a halt at the end of the session when it ran out of fuel.
“We had a lack of fuel during the second qualifying session which meant I had to stop the car out on track,” Maldonado explained. “The team are investigating to find out what happened as otherwise the car felt good and we had a strong opportunity to be in the top ten.
“The pace was certainly there this morning and the car was doing what I wanted it to do. We had a good strategy through the difficult weather conditions today so naturally I’m a bit disappointed with where we ended up on the grid.”
Unfortunately for Pastor, he’ll now drop another five places behind the Ferrari and Williams drivers.
Back of the grid for the British GP
14. Valtteri Bottas Williams
15. Felipe Massa Williams
16. Fernando Alonso Ferrari
17. Max Chilton Marussia
18. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
19. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
20. Pastor Maldonado Lotus
21. Marcus Ericsson Caterham
22. Kamui Kobayashi Caterham
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 0
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 1
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1