Jul 5, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Marussia will be celebrating at Silverstone tonight after the Anglo-Russian team secured its best ever qualifying result in Formula 1 ahead of tomorrow’s British Grand Prix.
Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton both made the most of the tricky conditions to get into Q2 with relative ease, and the minnow team saw its drivers even move into first place on the timesheets at points.
Come the checkered flag, Bianchi finished 12th with Chilton one place further back in 13th, although the Briton will drop to 18th due to a gearbox penalty.
The frenetic session at Silverstone saw a number of big names get caught out. Felipe Massa, Valtteri Bottas, Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen were all eliminated in Q1, marking Ferrari’s worst qualifying display since the 2010 Malaysian Grand Prix. Even with his penalty, Chilton will start ahead of both Alonso and Raikkonen at his home grand prix.
Marussia is currently enjoying its best ever season in F1, having debuted at the 2010 Australian Grand Prix. In Monaco, Bianchi scored the team’s first ever points in ninth place, and it appears to have pulled well clear of nearest rivals Caterham, whose drivers failed to qualify. They should be permitted to race, but will only do so at the stewards’ discretion.
Although points in normal conditions may still be unlikely for Marussia, Bianchi will be doing what he can to fight from P12 tomorrow, whilst Chilton will enjoy the thrill of seeing two Ferraris in his rear view mirrors on the grid.
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 2
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 2
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2