Jul 5, 2014, 6:41 PM EDT
Fans of Iowa Speedway that have been hoping NASCAR would bring a Sprint Cup race to the 7/8-mile asphalt tri-oval are likely going to be disappointed.
During his mid-season state of the sport address at Daytona International Speedway, NASCAR chairman/CEO Brian France on Saturday said that the track east of Des Moines – which was purchased last November by NASCAR’s sister company, International Speedway Corp. – is not on the radar for a Sprint Cup race.
“On Iowa, we don’t have plans for a Cup date there,” France said matter-of-factly. “We’re working with the state representatives and others to help us build racing in Iowa to the highest level that we can.
“They’re doing a great job with us, and we couldn’t be more pleased with the entire effort that the communities have made in and around Iowa.
“But they’ve got a nice full schedule with IndyCar and Nationwide, and I think that’s where that remains.”
However, while Iowa will likely keep the current series it hosts now, France did say that NASCAR officials are looking at perhaps more international racing – although nothing is on the immediate horizon.
“Internationally, we’ve always liked when we’ve had opportunities to go to Montreal or Mexico City or even abroad for exhibition events, and when those opportunities present, we will certainly want to look at them,” France said.
But when asked if there are more international expansion plans in the works, France replied, “Not in the immediate future, but that sort of changes around, as well, as we go down the road. So we’ll have to see.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- F1 Paddock Pass: Italian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Off The Grid: Silverstone preview (premieres 9/5 at 9:30am ET on NBCSN) 0
- Hamilton quickest again in second Italian GP practice 1
- Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in Italian GP FP1 1
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 4
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 4