Jul 5, 2014, 12:35 AM EST
When he was first diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, doctors told Ryan Reed that he likely would never achieve his dream of being a race car driver.
Reed might want to go back to those doctors now and tell them in response, “Uhh, are you still sure about that diagnosis?”
Reed earned the best finish of his Nationwide Series rookie season, finishing fourth in Friday night’s Subway Firecracker 250 at Daytona International Speedway.
“That was what we needed right there,” Reed said in a team media release. “Man it felt good to get our first top-five.
“The guys told me that Ricky [Stenhouse Jr.] really turned his rookie season around a couple years ago at Daytona, by coming away with a top-five. I am hoping to do the same thing.”
Reed started and ended fourth, as he and his No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing Ford Mustang remained in the top 10 for much of the 100-lap, 250-mile race (which eventually became a 103-lap, 257.5 mile race due to a green-white-checker finish).
“That was some fun racing,” Reed said. “I had a great time. Everyone just raced so hard. I am so proud of the team for putting ourselves in a good position to capitalize. That is what we have needed to do all season long and to finally do it, I am just so proud.”
Reed’s previous best finish was ninth last season at Richmond. With Saturday’s finish, he moves up to 10th in the NNS points standings.
The next NNS race is next Saturday’s Sta-Green 200 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1