Jul 5, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
Tony Kanaan’s lap of 221.344 miles per hour in the No. 10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet was fastest in this morning’s first practice session for the Pocono IndyCar 500.
A second practice for the IndyCars is slated for 1:30 p.m. ET, followed by qualifying later this evening at 5 p.m. ET (airing at 7 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra).
Behind Kanaan were three of the four Honda-powered Andretti Autosport drivers.
Ryan Hunter-Reay went P2 in the session with a lap of 220.882 mph, followed by Pennsylvania native Marco Andretti in third (220.470 mph), and James Hinchcliffe in fourth (220.381 mph).
A.J. Foyt Racing’s Takuma Sato completed the Top 5 speeds in the first practice with a lap of 220.379 mph. Juan Pablo Montoya, Houston Race 2 winner Simon Pagenaud, Mikhail Aleshin, Will Power, and Carlos Munoz made up Positions 6-10.
Two yellow flags slowed proceedings, but those were only for debris and then a track inspection.
During the second yellow, IndyCar chose to move their pit lane speed limit cones 140 feet towards the pit road entrance in order to protect drivers who are pitting near that area.
The moving of the cones caused IndyCar to add an additional five minutes to the practice.
- WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP qualifying at 5a ET on NBCSN and Live Extra 0
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0
- NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals 2
- The Equalization Conundrum: Should F1 put sport to one side in favor of ‘the show’? 5
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0