Jul 5, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
Tony Kanaan’s lap of 221.344 miles per hour in the No. 10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet was fastest in this morning’s first practice session for the Pocono IndyCar 500.
A second practice for the IndyCars is slated for 1:30 p.m. ET, followed by qualifying later this evening at 5 p.m. ET (airing at 7 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra).
Behind Kanaan were three of the four Honda-powered Andretti Autosport drivers.
Ryan Hunter-Reay went P2 in the session with a lap of 220.882 mph, followed by Pennsylvania native Marco Andretti in third (220.470 mph), and James Hinchcliffe in fourth (220.381 mph).
A.J. Foyt Racing’s Takuma Sato completed the Top 5 speeds in the first practice with a lap of 220.379 mph. Juan Pablo Montoya, Houston Race 2 winner Simon Pagenaud, Mikhail Aleshin, Will Power, and Carlos Munoz made up Positions 6-10.
Two yellow flags slowed proceedings, but those were only for debris and then a track inspection.
During the second yellow, IndyCar chose to move their pit lane speed limit cones 140 feet towards the pit road entrance in order to protect drivers who are pitting near that area.
The moving of the cones caused IndyCar to add an additional five minutes to the practice.
- Will Power fastest in final practice IndyCar practice at Sonoma 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 0
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 0
- MotorSportsTalk’s IndyCar championship pre-Sunday post round-up 0
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1