Jul 5, 2014, 6:03 AM EST
Sebastian Vettel has finished quickest in final practice for the British Grand Prix as wet weather limited running on Saturday morning at Silverstone.
After two dry practice sessions on Friday, the teams undertook their first wet weather running since Monaco today with rain falling since 8pm last night. The track did begin to dry out at one point, but conditions soon worsened again, meaning that drivers had to use the intermediate and wet tires throughout the session.
Vettel was able to finish fastest with a lap of 1:52.522 – almost 20 seconds off the dry weather time – ahead of Red Bull teammate Daniel Ricciardo. Pastor Maldonado and Romain Grosjean put in a good display for Lotus in third and fourth place, finishing ahead of Adrian Sutil and Daniil Kvyat.
The wet track did catch out a number of drivers, with the most notable being Jules Bianchi. The Frenchman ran straight on at the end of the Hangar Straight, with his Marussia coming to rest in the wall. He walked away unharmed, and the damage to the front of the car did not look too severe.
Grosjean had a very risky moment on the start/finish straight, spinning his Lotus and narrowly missing the wall. Nico Hulkenberg, Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez also had moments.
The all-dominant Mercedes drivers opted not to post a time during the session. Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg completed just nine laps in total, and they will keep their cards close to their chest until qualifying this afternoon.
With little to go by during FP3, it is hard to make any assumptions about qualifying should it rain. The only way to find out who really is number one in the wet will be to join us at 8am ET on CNBC, Live Extra and online by clicking here.
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 6
- Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 3
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 4
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 11
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 5
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0