Jul 5, 2014, 6:03 AM EDT
Sebastian Vettel has finished quickest in final practice for the British Grand Prix as wet weather limited running on Saturday morning at Silverstone.
After two dry practice sessions on Friday, the teams undertook their first wet weather running since Monaco today with rain falling since 8pm last night. The track did begin to dry out at one point, but conditions soon worsened again, meaning that drivers had to use the intermediate and wet tires throughout the session.
Vettel was able to finish fastest with a lap of 1:52.522 – almost 20 seconds off the dry weather time – ahead of Red Bull teammate Daniel Ricciardo. Pastor Maldonado and Romain Grosjean put in a good display for Lotus in third and fourth place, finishing ahead of Adrian Sutil and Daniil Kvyat.
The wet track did catch out a number of drivers, with the most notable being Jules Bianchi. The Frenchman ran straight on at the end of the Hangar Straight, with his Marussia coming to rest in the wall. He walked away unharmed, and the damage to the front of the car did not look too severe.
Grosjean had a very risky moment on the start/finish straight, spinning his Lotus and narrowly missing the wall. Nico Hulkenberg, Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez also had moments.
The all-dominant Mercedes drivers opted not to post a time during the session. Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg completed just nine laps in total, and they will keep their cards close to their chest until qualifying this afternoon.
With little to go by during FP3, it is hard to make any assumptions about qualifying should it rain. The only way to find out who really is number one in the wet will be to join us at 8am ET on CNBC, Live Extra and online by clicking here.
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2