Jul 6, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Esteban Gutierrez has been handed a three-place grid penalty for the German Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.
The Sauber driver got caught up in an incident with Pastor Maldonado during the early stages of today’s British Grand Prix at Silverstone. Gutierrez tried making a move down the inside of Maldonado heading into Vale, but instead hit him and caused the Lotus car to jump up into the air.
Maldonado landed safely and was even able to continue in the race, but Gutierrez went off a few corners later due to the damage he received and retired from the race.
The stewards confirmed during the race that they would investigate the incident this evening, and they have blamed the Mexican driver for causing the crash.
“Having viewed all the video available and having hread from the drivers, the stewards determined that the driver of car 21 (Gutierrez) was predominantly at fault, causing a collision at turn 16 between him and car 13 (Maldonado),” a statement from the stewards read.
For the second race in a row, Gutierrez will head into the weekend with a penalty hanging over his head. The Sauber driver was docked ten grid spots at Silverstone for an unsafe release during the Austrian Grand Prix, and although the three place drop will be less harmful at Hockenheim, it will be frustrating nevertheless.
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 1
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3