Jul 6, 2014, 8:20 AM EST
The British Grand Prix has been red flagged following a huge accident involving Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa on the opening lap of the race.
Heading down the Wellington Straight, Raikkonen ran wide through Aintree and touched the grass, causing his car to spin. The Ferrari driver smashed into the wall on the right hand side of the track with some force, causing him to career back across the circuit and into the path of the oncoming cars.
Despite his best efforts, Massa could not avoid the accident, and Caterham’s Kamui Kobayashi was forced to take evasive action in order not to get caught up in the wreckage. Raikkonen limped away from his car, and will have been taken to the medical centre for a check-up. The Ferrari team confirmed that Raikkonen was okay, but had suffered bruising to his ankle and knee.
Due to the force of Raikkonen’s crash, the guardrail requires repair work. When the race does restart, it will be under the safety car.
8:30am ET – The guardrail repair is still ongoing. Next update in 15 minutes. Max Chilton, Sergio Perez and Jean-Eric Vergne are all under investigations for various misdemeanours in the two laps of running that we saw.
8:37am ET – Perez and Vergne have been cleared of any wrong-doing. Chilton has been handed a drive-through penalty for entering the pit lane after the race had been suspended.
8:45am ET - Next update from the stewards will come at 8:50am ET.
8:51am ET – The race will resume at 9:05am ET.
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 9
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 2
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0