Jul 6, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Ferrari has confirmed that Kimi Raikkonen’s crash on the opening lap of the British Grand Prix recorded an impact of 47g (47 times the force of gravity), but he has escaped with just bruising to his ankle and knee.
The Finn speared into the wall on the exit of Aintree corner after running wide, causing enough damage to the barrier that it took one hour to repair until the race could be restarted. After the initial impact, his car then careered back across the track and into the path of Felipe Massa, who also retired because of the incident.
Raikkonen limped away from his car, and was immediately taken to the Silverstone medical centre for an examination by the FIA doctors. He was released before the end of the race, with nothing more than bruising to his knee and ankle, and will not need to miss the German Grand Prix as some feared immediately after the incident. However, he may have to miss the post-race test at Silverstone next week.
#FerrariGBRGP Kimi is leaving the track. He seems ok! Kimi lascia il circuito. Sembra stare bene!
— Scuderia Ferrari (@InsideFerrari) July 6, 2014
“The man from Espoo took a hard knock on the ankle and also has pain in a knee,” the team reported. “He will now have to rest but he will be back in time for the next round in Germany.”
The team also revealed that the impact recorded 47g on the F14 T’s telemetry.
Raikkonen was very lucky to escape without serious injury, but it does mark yet another disappointing weekend for the Finn who revealed earlier this week that he is likely to retire once his Ferrari contract is up at the end of 2015.
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10