Jul 6, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
Lewis Hamilton’s victory in today’s British Grand Prix was made all the sweeter by the fact that his championship rival and teammate Nico Rosberg failed to score any points.
The German driver had led away from pole position, and continued to forge ahead at the front after making his first pit stop. However, he reported to the Mercedes pit wall that he had encountered a gearbox problem, and it turned out to be terminal.
With 22 laps to go, Rosberg’s car began to slow, allowing Hamilton to take the lead. He eventually pulled over at the side of the track to try and reset the car, but it was to no avail.
This result marks Rosberg’s first non-score of the season. With victory on home soil today, Hamilton is just four points behind Rosberg in the drivers’ championship after trailing by 29 going into this weekend.
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 1
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 7
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2