Jul 6, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton’s victory in today’s British Grand Prix was made all the sweeter by the fact that his championship rival and teammate Nico Rosberg failed to score any points.
The German driver had led away from pole position, and continued to forge ahead at the front after making his first pit stop. However, he reported to the Mercedes pit wall that he had encountered a gearbox problem, and it turned out to be terminal.
With 22 laps to go, Rosberg’s car began to slow, allowing Hamilton to take the lead. He eventually pulled over at the side of the track to try and reset the car, but it was to no avail.
This result marks Rosberg’s first non-score of the season. With victory on home soil today, Hamilton is just four points behind Rosberg in the drivers’ championship after trailing by 29 going into this weekend.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0