Jul 6, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton’s victory in today’s British Grand Prix was made all the sweeter by the fact that his championship rival and teammate Nico Rosberg failed to score any points.
The German driver had led away from pole position, and continued to forge ahead at the front after making his first pit stop. However, he reported to the Mercedes pit wall that he had encountered a gearbox problem, and it turned out to be terminal.
With 22 laps to go, Rosberg’s car began to slow, allowing Hamilton to take the lead. He eventually pulled over at the side of the track to try and reset the car, but it was to no avail.
This result marks Rosberg’s first non-score of the season. With victory on home soil today, Hamilton is just four points behind Rosberg in the drivers’ championship after trailing by 29 going into this weekend.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 0
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 1
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0