Jul 6, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton’s victory in today’s British Grand Prix was made all the sweeter by the fact that his championship rival and teammate Nico Rosberg failed to score any points.
The German driver had led away from pole position, and continued to forge ahead at the front after making his first pit stop. However, he reported to the Mercedes pit wall that he had encountered a gearbox problem, and it turned out to be terminal.
With 22 laps to go, Rosberg’s car began to slow, allowing Hamilton to take the lead. He eventually pulled over at the side of the track to try and reset the car, but it was to no avail.
This result marks Rosberg’s first non-score of the season. With victory on home soil today, Hamilton is just four points behind Rosberg in the drivers’ championship after trailing by 29 going into this weekend.
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 0
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 0
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 1
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 0
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 0
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 0
- Brendan Gaughan takes lead with 6 laps to go, wins Nationwide at Kentucky 0