Jul 6, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg will lead the field away at Silverstone after securing his fourth pole position of the year in yesterday’s qualifying session for the British Grand Prix.
The Mercedes driver made the most of the changeable conditions in Q3 to put in a last-ditch lap and secure pole by over 1.5 seconds ahead of Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel.
Lewis Hamilton had looked set to claim his fifth pole of the season, but his decision to bail on his final Q3 lap backfired and he ended up in sixth place on the grid.
McLaren finally found its feet in qualifying, meaning that Jenson Button will start his home grand prix from third place. Kevin Magnussen is fifth, with Nico Hulkenberg’s Force India in the McLaren sandwich. His teammate, Sergio Perez, is seventh ahead of Daniel Ricciardo and the two Toro Rosso drivers.
Ferrari and Williams endured a disastrous session as their drivers all dropped out in Q1. They have made up some places by virtue of grid penalties.
FROM THE STEWARDS’ OFFICE
- Esteban Gutierrez carries over a 10-place grid penalty to this race for his unsafe release during the Austrian Grand Prix.
- Max Chilton drops five places after a gearbox change on Saturday.
- Pastor Maldonado was excluded from qualifying after his Lotus ran out of fuel.
- He will start ahead of the two Caterham cars which failed to qualify inside the required 107% time. They are permitted to start the race though.
2014 BRITISH GRAND PRIX STARTING GRID
1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
3. Jenson Button McLaren
4. Nico Hulkenberg Force India
5. Kevin Magnussen McLaren
6. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
7. Sergio Perez Force India
8. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull
9. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso
10. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
11. Romain Grosjean Lotus
12. Jules Bianchi Marussia
13. Adrian Sutil Sauber
14. Valtteri Bottas Williams
15. Felipe Massa Williams
16. Fernando Alonso Ferrari
17. Max Chilton Marussia
18. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
19. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
20. Pastor Maldonado Lotus
21. Marcus Ericsson Caterham
22. Kamui Kobayashi Caterham
You can watch the British Grand Prix live on CNBC and Live Extra from 7:30am ET.
- Scott Dixon breaks through for elusive Long Beach win (VIDEO) 1
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 1
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 3
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0