Skip to content

Storm of controversy around Will Power continues with latest penalty (VIDEO)

Jul 6, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT

At Houston last week, Will Power survived a dreadful pair of races without losing any points in the Verizon IndyCar Series championship chase.

At the Pocono INDYCAR 500 fueled by Sunoco on Sunday, he not only lost the points lead, but re-entered the IndyCar Race Control doghouse.

The first 158 laps of the race went green but after the race’s lone restart, Power made a pair of questionable moves on his two Team Penske teammates entering Turn 1 that ultimately netted him his latest penalty.

First, he made a move to defend against eventual winner Juan Pablo Montoya that cost Montoya his left front wing endplate, but the move did not draw a reaction from Race Control.

But a second move on Lap 172, where he sliced from the outside of the track to the inside twice on Helio Castroneves caused Castroneves to slightly back off to avoid contact. Power was called for blocking and served a drive-through penalty on pit lane.

Neither Power nor Team Penske president Tim Cindric were amused. See the below tweet from MoreFrontWing.com’s Paul Dalbey:

That penalty and another pit stop on Lap 189 to top off for fuel dropped Power to an eventual 10th place finish, despite leading 69 laps. With Castroneves second and the race a double-points affair, Power’s 39-point gap was erased and the two are now tied.

A somewhat speechless Power, undoubtedly frustrated in the heat of the moment post-race, then told NBCSN’s Jon Beekhuis, “I’m sure Townsend (Bell) and them up in the booth will have their say on it.”

Both Paul Tracy and Bob Varsha had comebacks for the attempt. PT’s take? “They told me to call it like I see it, and that was a double move.” Tracy tweeted this after the race:

Varsha, filling in for Leigh Diffey this weekend and calling his first IndyCar race since the 2003 Champ Car season, simply said “It is what it is, dude,” when a graphic flashed up showing Power’s five penalties called this season.

Power hit pit equipment in the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, got a pit speed violation in the Indianapolis 500 and at Texas, got a contact penalty for taking out Josef Newgarden, Justin Wilson and Graham Rahal in Detroit Race 2, and now had this penalty for blocking issued today. Surprisingly, Power has not been placed on probation by INDYCAR despite the rash of penalties.

  1. worknman24hours - Jul 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM

    I thought this was going to be a 225 mile per hour carbon fiber flash of two dead Indycar drivers.

    Double move hence the penalty.

    Sorry Will,you lose.

    Thankfully,it’s only a penalty and not a helicopter ride to the hospital for both drivers.

  2. manik56 - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM

    Even Helio knew it was a block…as for Montoya getting nothing for his avoidable contact…let’s just say I am a Montoya fan.

  3. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Jul 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM

    He deserved the drive through. Good to see Prick Tard live up to his reputation as a complete douche bag in the booth.

  4. testover6370 - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:09 AM

    My Will Power shirt is getting a lot less wear these days. He needs to get his act together and start driving like a professional. This will be another championship thrown away and he has no one to blame but himself. That was the most blatant, viscous block I’ve seen in a while. Who does that to their own teammate?

  5. Jeff - Jul 7, 2014 at 7:10 AM

    Yep, JPM should have had a drive-through penalty as well.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Video from NASCAR America

Terry Labonte's milestone race
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches
  1. B. Keselowski (2210)
  2. K. Busch (1981)
  3. J. McMurray (1436)
  4. T. Stewart (1307)
  5. J. Gordon (1288)