Today’s race at Pocono was fastest 500-miler in IndyCar history

Jul 6, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT

Will Power AP

There’s fast. There’s freaky fast. And then, there’s historically fast.

Today’s Pocono IndyCar 500 has gone into the record books as the fastest 500-mile race ever in Indy-car racing history.

Juan Pablo Montoya’s victory clocked in at an average speed of 202.402 miles per hour, slowed down by just one caution involving Graham Rahal at Lap 159.

Additionally, today’s race is the third in Indy-car history to have an average speed of more than 200 mph.

The previous 500-mile race mark was set at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California back in 2002, when Jimmy Vasser – now a team co-owner in the current Verizon IndyCar Series – won a CART race at an average speed of 197.995 mph.

It bears noting that current NASCAR competitor Sam Hornish Jr. won a Verizon IndyCar Series (then known as the Indy Racing League) race at ACS in 2003 with an average speed of 207.151 mph.

However, that particular event was only 400 miles long.

Finally, here’s one more cool statistic: The first 158 laps running under green-flag conditions set a Verizon IndyCar Series record for a 500-mile race.

The old record had been established this past May at the 98th Indianapolis 500, which had its first 149 laps run clean before Charlie Kimball crashed.

And while some fans may have preferred a few more yellows today and more breaks in the action, the fact that today’s race ran for so long without one is a pretty good indicator of how talented the Verizon IndyCar Series driver grid is.

1. worknman24hours - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I LOVED IT!

Those cars were SMOKING down that Pocono track!

Alot of close racing and some scary close calls but Pocono has never been as exciting a track as it was today.

FANTASTIC!

2. blockhead11 - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM

even after the Nascar race was called because of rain,I did see Indy on another channel..but I just couldn’t bring myself to watch it…I don’t know what it is,I cant seem to get my finger on why I’m not liking the series..I even enjoy F1 more then Indy…

• worknman24hours - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Probably the stock same for all car body the series uses.

Does’nt put me off near as much as it did.

Makes the close racing all the better knowing the cars are much safer because they have the same construction and won’t lock up wheels near as much.

And the cars don’t race the same either.

All the teams adjust them differently so what a riot of speed.

3. manik56 - Jul 6, 2014 at 9:49 PM

IndyCars at Pocono definitely produce a thinking man’s race. Stratagy is everything and wing end plates apparently are nothing. I enjoyed it again.

4. testover6370 - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Rahal’s spin was kinda cool, he kept it almost completely off the wall. Almost…

Video from NASCAR America