Jul 6, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
No win in Formula 1 is easy, but today Lewis Hamilton got the opportunity to simply focus on bringing his Mercedes home thanks to an advantage of 30 seconds in the final stages of the race.
The Briton pulled away from the field along with Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg, and when the German retired from the race, it became a matter of looking after his car and ensuring he did not meet a similar fate.
On the final lap of the race, Hamilton was able to take in the buzzing atmosphere as the British fans cheered on their hero. Just as we saw in 2008, his victory on home soil was a very popular one.
Hamilton dedicated his win to the thousands of fans that came out to see him race today, and said that the result made up for his mistake during qualifying on Saturday.
Enjoy the final stages of the British Grand Prix once again with Leigh Diffey in this video.
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 1
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0