Jul 6, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
No win in Formula 1 is easy, but today Lewis Hamilton got the opportunity to simply focus on bringing his Mercedes home thanks to an advantage of 30 seconds in the final stages of the race.
The Briton pulled away from the field along with Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg, and when the German retired from the race, it became a matter of looking after his car and ensuring he did not meet a similar fate.
On the final lap of the race, Hamilton was able to take in the buzzing atmosphere as the British fans cheered on their hero. Just as we saw in 2008, his victory on home soil was a very popular one.
Hamilton dedicated his win to the thousands of fans that came out to see him race today, and said that the result made up for his mistake during qualifying on Saturday.
Enjoy the final stages of the British Grand Prix once again with Leigh Diffey in this video.
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 1
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3