Jul 6, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
No win in Formula 1 is easy, but today Lewis Hamilton got the opportunity to simply focus on bringing his Mercedes home thanks to an advantage of 30 seconds in the final stages of the race.
The Briton pulled away from the field along with Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg, and when the German retired from the race, it became a matter of looking after his car and ensuring he did not meet a similar fate.
On the final lap of the race, Hamilton was able to take in the buzzing atmosphere as the British fans cheered on their hero. Just as we saw in 2008, his victory on home soil was a very popular one.
Hamilton dedicated his win to the thousands of fans that came out to see him race today, and said that the result made up for his mistake during qualifying on Saturday.
Enjoy the final stages of the British Grand Prix once again with Leigh Diffey in this video.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 12
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2