Jul 6, 2014, 7:15 AM EDT
After a thrilling qualifying session at Silverstone yesterday, the stage is set for today’s British Grand Prix. Nico Rosberg will lead the cars away from the grid after securing his fourth pole position of the season, and with teammate Lewis Hamilton down in sixth, he has a great chance of extending his lead in the championship.
Coverage of the British Grand Prix begins at 7:30am ET on CNBC and Live Extra. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
Rosberg’s charge to pole came in a wet-dry qualifying on Saturday afternoon that saw the rain come and go frequently. Hamilton did have provisional pole ahead of his teammate, but opted to bail on his final lap in Q3 as he believed the track was too wet. However, the final two sectors were drying, and Rosberg managed to set a time that was over three seconds quicker than Hamilton’s.
Sebastian Vettel and Jenson Button also made the most of the inclement weather to qualify second and third, while Force India’s rut came to an end with Nico Hulkenberg fourth and Sergio Perez in seventh.
Ferrari and Williams fell victim of the weather, dropping out in Q1, but Marussia timed its laps perfectly. Jules Bianchi will start a career-best 12th, with Max Chilton 17th after taking a five place grid penalty.
From pole, is this Rosberg’s race to lose? Only time will tell. As we saw last year, anything can happen at Silverstone.
Coverage of the British Grand Prix begins at 7:30am ET on CNBC and Live Extra. To watch via live stream, click here.
- WATCH LIVE: British GP Race Day on CNBC and Live Extra from 7:30am ET 0
- What to watch for: British Grand Prix (7:30am ET on CNBC and Live Extra) 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0