Jul 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
M1 Racing is pleased to announce a new corporate partnership with Tampa Bay Jaw Surgery that includes fielding Walt Bowlin’s Audi R8 LMS ultra in the SCCA Pirelli World Challenge Championship’s GT-A class.
Bowlin, of Tarpon Springs, Fla., is the 2012 Star Mazda expert class champion and a practicing oral and maxillofacial surgeon. The GT-A class, which debuted this year, recognizes gentlemen drivers that compete in the GT class.
Bowlin plans to make his World Challenge debut in the doubleheader that is part of Honda Indy Toronto July 18-20 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The team also plans to enter the Audi in IMSA’s Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona in 2015. It may make one or two starts in the Tudor United SportsCar Championship later this season in preparation for that effort.
But the first challenge is to get actual race experience with the car in World Challenge.
“I chose to race in World Challenge because it has the top sports car drivers in the world, representing the world’s finest sports car manufacturers,” Bowlin said. “I feel that sponsors in World Challenge obtain great exposure via their excellent TV package.
“My goal for this season is very simple — get faster every weekend,” he added. “Another reason that I chose World Challenge is it’s a sprint race. It’s an all-out scramble to the finish, and very much like what I’m used to in the Formula Mazda championship.”
“We’ve always enjoyed working with Walt,” said Paul Mata, owner of the Dallas-based team. “I’m very interested in seeing what he can do in a car that is a better fit for him physically than a Pro Mazda car.”
More information on the team can be found on http://www.m1racing.co.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kyle Busch roars back to win Truck race at Texas; Matt Crafton gets closer to clinching championship 0
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 1
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0