Jul 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
M1 Racing is pleased to announce a new corporate partnership with Tampa Bay Jaw Surgery that includes fielding Walt Bowlin’s Audi R8 LMS ultra in the SCCA Pirelli World Challenge Championship’s GT-A class.
Bowlin, of Tarpon Springs, Fla., is the 2012 Star Mazda expert class champion and a practicing oral and maxillofacial surgeon. The GT-A class, which debuted this year, recognizes gentlemen drivers that compete in the GT class.
Bowlin plans to make his World Challenge debut in the doubleheader that is part of Honda Indy Toronto July 18-20 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The team also plans to enter the Audi in IMSA’s Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona in 2015. It may make one or two starts in the Tudor United SportsCar Championship later this season in preparation for that effort.
But the first challenge is to get actual race experience with the car in World Challenge.
“I chose to race in World Challenge because it has the top sports car drivers in the world, representing the world’s finest sports car manufacturers,” Bowlin said. “I feel that sponsors in World Challenge obtain great exposure via their excellent TV package.
“My goal for this season is very simple — get faster every weekend,” he added. “Another reason that I chose World Challenge is it’s a sprint race. It’s an all-out scramble to the finish, and very much like what I’m used to in the Formula Mazda championship.”
“We’ve always enjoyed working with Walt,” said Paul Mata, owner of the Dallas-based team. “I’m very interested in seeing what he can do in a car that is a better fit for him physically than a Pro Mazda car.”
More information on the team can be found on http://www.m1racing.co.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 0
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 0
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 11
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10