Jul 7, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen made no secret of his disappointment after retiring from yesterday’s British Grand Prix in a huge accident that resulted in the race being stopped.
On the first lap of the race, Raikkonen ran wide at Aintree corner and tried to power over the grass to get back onto the track. However, it did not go to plan as his Ferrari speared into the barrier on the right hand side of the Wellington Straight at a reported impact of 47g.
His car then careered back across the circuit, colliding with Felipe Massa’s Williams and ending both of their races. The Finn limped away from his Ferrari, and was transferred to the circuit’s media centre where he was found to have only suffered bruising to his ankle and knee.
“Unfortunately, my race today ended on the first lap, after I had managed to get away well, making up enough ground to be fighting for eleventh place,” Raikkonen said on Sunday. “At turn five, I went off the track and while trying to get back on, I must have hit a kerb.
“I then lost control of the car and ended in the barriers. It’s a real shame because yesterday, the feeling I had on track had improved and I was determined to do my utmost to bring home some points.
“I am really very disappointed with how things went today, but now I want to put this incident behind me and just concentrate on the next race in Germany.”
Raikkonen was due to test for Ferrari at Silverstone this week, but team principal Marco Mattiacci said that his condition would be assessed before a decision was taken.
“We checked several times and we will take a decision about the test, and what to do with the test, so we still have to take a decision,” he said. “I want to be 100% sure that he will be fine.”
Raikkonen’s misdemeanor is a new low point in a difficult season so far, and he revealed earlier this week that he is likely to walk away from F1 upon the expiration of his Ferrari contract at the end of 2015.
- Derrick Walker reflects on IndyCar tenure and future 0
- Social Roundup: IndyCar season-ending banquet 0
- Scott Dixon awarded $1 million for fourth championship at IndyCar banquet 1
- Hulkenberg extends contract with Force India for two more years 1
- Ten with Townsend: Sonoma and 2015 IndyCar debrief 1
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 18