Jul 8, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Felipe Massa has finished fastest on the first day of the post-British Grand Prix test at Silverstone today.
Following a miserable weekend of racing, the Williams driver recorded a fastest lap time of 1:35.242 to finish ahead of Daniel Ricciardo and Nico Rosberg at the top of the timesheets.
With few major updates expected to be brought to the cars until after the summer break, this week’s two day test was about drivers ironing out any minor issues with their cars and allowing the teams to try out junior members of their racing team.
GP2’s Stoffel Vandoorne and World Series by Renault driver Will Stevens both got a chance to try out some F1 machinery at Silverstone today for McLaren and Caterham respectively. Vandoorne ran well to finish 6th, while Stevens put in 95 laps at the bottom of the standings. Both will hope that this experience will put them in the frame for an F1 call-up in the next two to three years.
Marussia’s Jules Bianchi put in a strong display to finish fifth for the Anglo-Russian team, although his day did end early after a fire on his car. Max Chilton will take over the MR03 tomorrow, with Bianchi stepping in at parent team Ferrari for the rested Kimi Raikkonen.
Adrian Sutil finished fourth for Sauber, with Sergio Perez coming seventh for Force India. Jean-Eric Vergne had a disastrous day, finishing eighth and bringing out three red flags due to a variety of problems. Perez was also responsible for one of the stoppages, with there being five in total.
Pastor Maldonado came home in ninth for Lotus ahead of Ferrari test driver Pedro de la Rosa, who was over 2.5 seconds off the pace in tenth. Will Stevens propped up the timesheets.
The teams will be back at Silverstone tomorrow for the final day of in-season testing in 2014.
Silverstone Wednesday line-up
Mercedes – Lewis Hamilton
Red Bull – Sebastian Vettel
Ferrari – Jules Bianchi
Williams – Valtteri Bottas
Force India – Daniel Juncadella
McLaren – Kevin Magnussen
Toro Rosso – Daniil Kvyat
Lotus – Charles Pic
Marussia – Max Chilton
Sauber – Giedo van der Garde
Caterham – Julian Leal (morning); Rio Haryanto (afternoon)
Video from NASCAR America
- Aleshin conscious following heavy accident in MAVTV 500 final practice (UPDATED, VIDEO) 3
- Kevin Harvick wins Atlanta Sprint Cup pole; Stewart qualifies 12th 1
- Castroneves secures crucial MAVTV 500 pole; Power starts P21 for IndyCar finale (VIDEO) 3
- Jeff Gordon: Last 3 races weren’t the same without Tony Stewart 3
- IndyCar has 500 miles to glory, through speed, dirt, tire fall off and unpredictability 0
- How NASCAR determined Tony Stewart was ready to race again 5
- Helton: Tony Stewart still eligible for Chase, but must win to get in 4