Jul 9, 2014, 9:01 PM EST
Having grown up in the entertainment capital of the world, Las Vegas, going on to play college basketball for Georgetown University and then having been a popular NASCAR driver for more than a decade, Brendan Gaughan knows how to play to crowds.
But Gaughan — a certified SCUBA diver and instructor — outdid himself Tuesday at the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga, where he made a promotional appearance for next month’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway.
Having been tipped off by a prior press release, we already knew Gaughan was going to climb into the Aquarium and do one of his favorite things for relaxation — swimming with sharks.
Yes, you read that right. Gaughan likes to hang out underwater with some real man-eaters.
(Point of reference: we’re talking about the swimming kind, not the guys he bangs fenders with every week on racetracks across the country.)
But here’s where Gaughan the promoter and attention-grabber shined. Not only did he play with sharks, he wore a pit crew shirt — festooned with all the right emblems and patches of his sponsors — over his diving wet suit. If that isn’t great promotion — or chutzpah, at least — we don’t know what is.
But you know what? We like it.
The only thing that was missing was Gaughan having his racing helmet on, but we’ll cut him a break on that.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1