Jul 9, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Having grown up in the entertainment capital of the world, Las Vegas, going on to play college basketball for Georgetown University and then having been a popular NASCAR driver for more than a decade, Brendan Gaughan knows how to play to crowds.
But Gaughan — a certified SCUBA diver and instructor — outdid himself Tuesday at the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga, where he made a promotional appearance for next month’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway.
Having been tipped off by a prior press release, we already knew Gaughan was going to climb into the Aquarium and do one of his favorite things for relaxation — swimming with sharks.
Yes, you read that right. Gaughan likes to hang out underwater with some real man-eaters.
(Point of reference: we’re talking about the swimming kind, not the guys he bangs fenders with every week on racetracks across the country.)
But here’s where Gaughan the promoter and attention-grabber shined. Not only did he play with sharks, he wore a pit crew shirt — festooned with all the right emblems and patches of his sponsors — over his diving wet suit. If that isn’t great promotion — or chutzpah, at least — we don’t know what is.
But you know what? We like it.
The only thing that was missing was Gaughan having his racing helmet on, but we’ll cut him a break on that.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 1
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 10
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 53