Historic family vacation: David Gilliland, father Butch and son Todd to race together for first time ever
Jul 9, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
With next week marking the final off-weekend of the season for the Sprint Cup Series, many drivers will likely be headed out on family vacations.
But no one will be able to top the unique family vacation David Gilliland has planned with his father Butch and son Todd.
They’re all going racing.
So what makes that unique? Plenty.
The three generations of Gillilands will compete together for the first time in family history in a 75-lap Super Late Model Series race on July 19 at Irwindale Speedway in suburban Los Angeles.
The patriarch of the family, Butch, won the 1997 NASCAR K&N West Series championship with David acting as his crew chief.
Butch, now 56, retired from racing in 2002 and has not raced professionally since. But in his day, he was one of the most competitive drivers on the west coast.
Butch also shepherded the early racing career of David, 38, who is in his ninth season in the Sprint Cup Series.
David, who drives the No. 38 Ford for Front Row Motorsports in the Cup ranks, learned his early racing lessons well from his father – and it was at Irwindale where the younger Gilliland earned his first career race win on an asphalt track.
And while Todd may have just turned 14, he’s already earned his first win in a Late Model race at Ace Speedway in Altamahaw, N.C., two months ago.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 1
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0
- Kevin Harvick in a class of his own, dominates Atlanta NNS race 0
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar crowns its champion tonight at Fontana 1
- Lessons learned from Dale Earnhardt death readily seen in way NASCAR has dealt with Tony Stewart tragedy 2
- Aleshin conscious following heavy accident in MAVTV 500 final practice (UPDATED, VIDEO) 4