Jul 10, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Rare is it the worlds of World Cup football and Formula One intersect, but we have that occasion this week as a result of the German Grand Prix’ organizers plans going to plan as much as the Brazilian football team’s did versus Germany on Tuesday.
The organizers planned an 11 euro discount for each goal the Germans scored against Brazil. Problem was, I doubt they realized that the Germans would come out absolutely on fire in their 7-1 whitewashing (more via ProSoccerTalk, here) of the host country.
So with that result in the books, ticket prices are discounted 77 euros over the next 48 hours. Per Autoweek, that means seats originally priced at e245 ($333.34) and e295 ($401.37) can now be purchased for e168 ($228.58) and e218 ($296.61), respectively. Fans win on that front.
There’s several drivers on the grid that can win too, if the Germans beat the Argentineans in Sunday’s World Cup Final (Argentina won 3-2 in 1986 versus Germany; lost 0-1 to Germany in 1990, via PST).
There’s four Germans on the grid that would have the chance to see their home country win their fourth overall World Cup, and second in all four drivers’ lifetimes.
Adrian Sutil (born 1983), Nico Rosberg (1985), Sebastian Vettel (1987) and Nico Hulkenberg (1987) were all seven years of age or less when Germany took its last World Cup triumph in 1990.
As this is an off weekend for F1, all will have the chance to see the match first-hand.
Argentina, meanwhile, has not been represented on an F1 grid since Gaston Mazzacane’s year-plus stint with Minardi and Prost in 2000 and 2001.
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 1
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 6
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0