Jul 10, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
Memo Gidley, who was injured at this year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona, has written a long, informative, detailed and somewhat emotional update on his website to provide new information since we last heard of his recovery process after his accident.
Gidley chronicled his movement out of hospital, his transition from moving from an assisted-living facility back to his home, with his girlfriend and with family close by.
His pain has reduced, although he can still feel it daily, and he can walk around slowly. He said he has been able to drive a road car around town “a little.”
While most things in his house have not been used, Gidley is motivated to do things to try to help him heal. For example:
As hard as it has been at times, pain-wise, for me to start another day, I have been driven to try things that I hope will help me heal. I am, and have been for a couple of months, back in a physical therapy program that was set up by my current doctor. When this started, merely walking to my car and sitting while being driven places was physically difficult and made my pain worse. Still, I did, and still do, this twice a week, usually for three hours each day with a few different physical therapists. I was also determined to swim as part of my therapy. I say swim, but it really just started as a place where I could move around in a low pain environment. I am now swimming in a warm therapeutic pool at least five days a week, for a solid hour of water time each visit, and now up to a slow breast stroke as well as other exercises to work my muscles.
You can read his full, detailed update on his website here.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1