Jul 11, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Lotus test driver Charles Pic has called Pirelli’s concept 18-inch rim F1 tires “a challenge” as they enjoyed their first run during the post-British GP test earlier this week.
Pirelli confirmed over the race weekend at Silverstone that it would be piloting the tires on Wednesday in an attempt to make Formula 1 more road relevant. 18-inch rims are common in other racing series, but F1 tires have rims some five inches smaller.
Pic put in 14 laps for Lotus using the tires, and did not understate the challenge that they posed during this initial run.
“I think if we go one day to this type of tire it will be a big challenge,” Pic explained. “First for the team because they will have to build a completely new car around this because the philosophy is completely different and you would need to build all the car around this type of tire. I think it will also be a challenge for the driver because they are completely different.
“On the looks side it’s looking for sure different, so I think some people will like them and some people not.”
Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery was pleased with how the tires looked on the Lotus, and felt that the first test had been a successful one.
“In our view, the new tires looked stunning fitted to the Lotus, and the reaction has already been felt all over the world,” Hembery explained. “These are just a prototype concept, but if the teams decided that they wanted us to proceed in this direction, we have the capability to carry on development in this area and come up with a production-ready version in a comparatively short space of time.
“We’ve heard a lot of opinions already and we look forward to canvassing other opinions in the coming weeks and months.”
The tires could be introduced as early as 2016, but the change would require unanimous approval from the teams to be ratified and given the green light.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 49
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2