Jul 11, 2014, 10:27 PM EDT
The 18-year-old Jones dominated the 200-lap event, leading 131 laps at the 7/8-mile track in Newton, Iowa, for his second career win in the Truck series.
“That was awesome,” Jones told Fox Sports 1. “We definitely drove hard and there was nothing left in that thing.”
There was a close call with about 16 laps left when Jones got stuck behind lapped traffic and bumped fenders with eventual runner-up Ryan Blaney, but both drivers were able to continue on with minimal damage to their trucks.
“Ryan is a great competitor and great to race against,” Jones said. “He just raced me hard, raced me clean, we showed a lot of respect to each other.”
It was the ninth straight win in the Truck series for Toyota and the seventh in the season’s first nine races by Kyle Busch Motorsports drivers.
The race only had a handful of cautions. Due to the second practice being postponed due to rain earlier in the day, NASCAR scheduled a competition caution at Lap 40.
The race almost got there, before a wreck on Lap 39 brought out the yellow.
Then on Lap 62, Ron Hornaday Jr. inadvertently put Timothy Peters into the outside wall. Peters retaliated by spinning Hornaday a half-lap later, which could lead to post-race penalties by NASCAR officials.
Jones led at the halfway mark (100 laps), leading Blaney, Crafton, Wallace Jr. and Coulter.
As for the NCWTS points standings, Crafton moved back into first place, Blaney moved up to spots into second (two points behind Crafton), previous points leader Sauter fell from first to third, Quiroga climbed from sixth to fourth and Hornaday remained in fifth place.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Check out KBM’s Vine video of Jones pulling into victory lane at Iowa:
Video from NASCAR America
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25
- Renault’s Taffin: Fuel consumption could well be an issue in Singapore 1