Jul 11, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Author’s note: a slightly tape-delayed broadcast of second practice for the Verizon IndyCar Series’ Iowa Corn Indy 300 presented by DEKALB at Iowa Speedway is airing until 5:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN. Qualifying, if it happens, will air at 7 p.m. ET. If you don’t want to know the results of second practice, we’d advise you read no further.
A weird weather day in Newton, Iowa has allowed enough of a window for the Verizon IndyCar Series to complete its second practice session of the day. Teams were able to get an hour in this afternoon after this morning’s first session was halted after just 13:34 due to heavy storms.
Speeds and times dropped toward the end of the hour session as the track began to re-rubber in. Juan Pablo Montoya, the Pocono winner and making his first start at Iowa Speedway since a 2006 ARCA race, led the time sheets with a best time of 17.4327 seconds around the 0.875-mile oval (184.619 mph).
“We tested here and it’s weird because it’s very different this morning,” Montoya said after his first laps back on the track this morning. “I don’t know if it is because of the NASCAR rubber, but it was a handful this morning. Like when we tested it was nice, predictable, fun to drive and this morning it was like ‘oh really’ how many more? We don’t want to be that unstable. It looks like we will be okay for practice. We will see whatever it brings.”
Montoya’s Team Penske teammate, Will Power, was second with defending Iowa race winner and practice one leader James Hinchcliffe in third. Those two also clocked in over 184 mph.
Takuma Sato and Scott Dixon completed the top five. Tony Kanaan and Mikhail Aleshin led most of the session but pitted late and ended eighth and ninth.
Oddly, Aleshin’s Schmidt Peterson Motorsports teammate Simon Pagenaud was 22nd and last after 51 laps completed. The team parked late with a reported balance issue.
Here’s your practice times:
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 49
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2