Jul 11, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Red Bull junior driver Carlos Sainz Jr. has confirmed that he is in talks with Caterham over a possible full-time drive.
The Spaniard is currently leading the Formula Renault 3.5 championship, and looks poised to follow in McLaren driver Kevin Magnussen’s footsteps and clinch the title. However, he may have to balance this campaign with F1 commitments should a full-time seat come about before the end of the year.
Following a change in ownership, the future for Caterham’s drivers is far from certain. Sainz could be set to replace either Kamui Kobayashi or Marcus Ericsson before the end of the year, and confirmed to Spanish newspaper AS that talks had been held with the team.
“It is true that there have been talks and that we have spoken to them, but nothing is confirmed,” he said. “This does not affect me because my goal remains the same: to be at Toro Rosso in the future.
“If to do that I have to go to Caterham before then I will happily. It is possible to run in a race this year, but it is Red Bull that decides. They and Caterham must also have benefits and be convinced by the agreement.”
Sainz is thought to be in the frame to join Toro Rosso at the end of the season in place of Jean-Eric Vergne. If he can get some extra time at Caterham and also win the Formula Renault 3.5 title, it would put him in very good stead before joining Red Bull’s B-team in 2015.
Video from NASCAR America
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 1
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 2
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 18
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 3
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett to join NASCAR coverage on NBC, NBCSN 4
- F1: Lotus releases images of its new Mercedes-powered E23 4