Jul 11, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Ordinarily there would be no reason or purpose to include a George Clooney photo in any racing post here on MotorSportsTalk.
But when Clooney’s tequila brand, Casamigos, is part of a sponsorship package, you make an exception.
The brand, which stands for ‘House of Friends’, was launched in 2012 by Clooney, Rande Gerber, and Mike Meldman and will be the primary backer of Bryan Herta Autosport’s Indy Lights entry for Ryan Phinny, which will debut at Toronto next weekend.
The entry will run the three remaining road and street course race weekends of the season (Toronto, Mid-Ohio, Sonoma) for Indy Lights. Phinny, 24, has a single Indy Lights start at Long Beach in 2011 on his career resume as well as past experience in Formula BMW, Star Mazda and sports cars.
“I’m excited to get things going,” Phinny said in a team release. “I love the Toronto track, I’ve always had good runs at Mid-Ohio, and finishing out the season in California is the best yet. I know the BHA team well and I’ve known Bryan Herta for years. I couldn’t be more thankful for this opportunity and Bryan’s continued faith in my driving. This is an ideal scenario for me.”
He added of Casamigos, “I really want to thank Mike Meldman, George Clooney, and Rande Gerber for bringing me into the ‘House of Friends’ and giving me the opportunity to represent the Casamigos Tequila brand. I’ve always wanted to merge the Hollywood aspect of my life with racing, it’s really a great fit. I’d also like to thank former Indy 500 champion Danny Sullivan for all the support and advice he has given me throughout my career thus far.”
The No. 28 BHA entry ran the opening four race weekends (six races) at St. Petersburg, Long Beach, Barber and the Grand Prix of Indianapolis with Welsh rookie Lloyd Read. Read posted two ninth-place finishes as his best result; his narrow escape of a flying tire at St. Petersburg was his most noteworthy moment.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1