Jul 12, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton is not bothered about any perceived home advantage Nico Rosberg may enjoy at next weekend’s German Grand Prix as he sets his sights on seizing the lead of the drivers’ championship.
Hamilton took an emotional home victory in front of the British fans at Silverstone last weekend, and moved to within four points of his teammate at the top of the standings after Rosberg retired from the race.
Heading to Germany, the home support should now lie with Rosberg, but Hamilton believes that it will not compare to the support that he enjoyed at Silverstone.
“Just going into Germany, to Hockenheim, I know whilst it’s Nico’s home Grand Prix, he doesn’t have even one eighth of the support us Brits get here,” Hamilton said. “The fans are unlike anywhere else so I’m not worried in that sense.
“It’s a track where I won before, in 2008 I think it was. It’s a good track for me, so I’m gonna use the pace that I have, because I have the pace. I’ve just got to put the damn laps together and when I do, then I think the opportunities will come in front of me.”
Hamilton claimed victory at the 2008 German Grand Prix at Hockenheim during his championship winning year, and has traditionally run well at the circuit.
Although Rosberg will have the support of the home crowd, he will know that his slender championship lead is under serious threat ahead of the sport’s summer break at the end of the month. He may be four points ahead, but for now, the momentum unquestionably lies with Hamilton on the other side of the garage.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3